Call a formula in a cell and use it on the next cell

• Hi is it possible to just enter the formula once in a cell and call it on the next cell if needed? What I'm doing now is copy the formula in the succeeding cells to make it work.

for example:

I have a formula in M6 which is =(I6+J6+K6)*0.115, O6 which is =(J6+M6+I6+K6)*0.13 and P6 which is =J6+M6+O6+K6+I6. So if I enter an amount in I6, J6 and K6 the formulas will run. Is there a way that it will be automatic in the next row 7 without dragging the formula all the way down?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Call a formula in a cell and use it on the next cell

You can use the List feature in the Data menu (if in Excel 2003 or earlier)

You can use the Table feature in the Insert Tab (if in Excel 2007 or earlier)

when you add new lines, the formulas should automatically copy down to those rows...

Where there is a will there are many ways. Finding one that works for you is the challenge!

Quote from NBVC;632290

You can use the List feature in the Data menu (if in Excel 2003 or earlier)

You can use the Table feature in the Insert Tab (if in Excel 2007 or earlier)

when you add new lines, the formulas should automatically copy down to those rows...

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Excel 2010 and trying to figure out how to do my inquiry in the Data Table feature. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Set the Table up by using Format as Table then tab through the table making your entries

Select the table, or any cell within it, and go to Insert tab, then select Table and follow any prompts.

After you are finished, if yuo have formulas in the table, they should copy down once you start adding info to a new row directly beneath the table.

Where there is a will there are many ways. Finding one that works for you is the challenge!

A little info on Working with Excel Tables

Once you start working with Excel Tables, you will find this information very useful

Using structured references with Excel tables

Quote from NBVC;632374

Select the table, or any cell within it, and go to Insert tab, then select Table and follow any prompts.

After you are finished, if yuo have formulas in the table, they should copy down once you start adding info to a new row directly beneath the table.

ok.. the solution works if i pre-select the table that needs to be filled up. Is there any other way that the new data will just automatically use the formula in the previous row and not pre-selecting the entire table using the solution? the reason that I don't this is because when you print the sheet, there will be blank rows since I pre-selected it already. TIA!

You preselect and create the table only initially with only the currently occupied rows/columns.

Adding rows below afterwards, increments the table.

Quote from NBVC;632401

You preselect and create the table only initially with only the currently occupied rows/columns.

Adding rows below afterwards, increments the table.

Thanks! I tried that and it worked! Really appreciate your help :)

Follow up question, If I protect the sheet the solution will not work anymore.. any ideas on how to deal with it? I really need to protect the formula cells.. thanks!

I don't think there's a way round that. I've tried various options before protecting the sheet, none worked.

Quote from royUK;632435

I don't think there's a way round that. I've tried various options before protecting the sheet, none worked.

hhmm... too bad.. :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!