HELP! Create dependent drop downs and return with data validation

• Hello, I am needing some serious help! I have spent quite a while trying to research and figure out how to create a spreadsheet to estimate products for my home based business. I have my spreadsheet formatted the way I need it and I have one version that does data validation based on item (which fills in the adjoining cell). But I need to take it a step further. I am needing the following:

Column B (Category) (ie. Lumber, Supply, Finishes, etc.)
    Column C (Store) (**based on what category was previously chosen)
    Column D (Material) (**based on what category and store was chosen)

So what I am trying to do is pick a category, have column C populate the drop down list by which stores carry items in that category. Furthermore, have column D populate my materials based on what items are available at the store (chosen by column C.) So when its all entered then the price, quantity per price populate using the date from my lists.

I have created my tables in the spreadsheet that show all those items. The goal is to have the lookup function retrieve the information in columns E, F, and H based on what is put in prior. Now, the original way I had this set up, all the items were under one column and the lookup function pulled from that. As you can imagine, my drop down list was ridiculously long. Hints, why I am trying to drill this down and make it more user friendly. I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet to show what I am working with. If anyone could help, fix or offer advise it would be greatly appreciated.

• wilsti6 welcome to the board.
    I'm not sure why you triple posted the same subject.
    Please take a moment to read the rules you agreed to when you joined this board.
    You should be able to edit your post if you make a mistake, or if you have to add to your original post do so in a separate post below the original, do not create new threads.
    If you have issues send a PM to a moderator and we'll be happy to assist you in any way we can.

Thanks for your cooperation. :cheers:

• I didn't post it 3 times on purpose. I received an error every time I posted it, stating it could not accept my post. only to find out they all ended up posting. If I had the ability to delete them I would have.

wilsti6 welcome to the board.
    I'm not sure why you triple posted the same subject.
    Please take a moment to read the rules you agreed to when you joined this board.
    You should be able to edit your post if you make a mistake, or if you have to add to your original post do so in a separate post below the original, do not create new threads.
    If you have issues send a PM to a moderator and we'll be happy to assist you in any way we can.

Thanks for your cooperation. :cheers:

• you have 2 create a list first and then use data validation for the dropdown.

So if I want my material column to drop down based on (example: Hardware, Home Depot, I need it to only pull what hardware is listed under the hardware category at Home Depot.) I tried the file you uploaded and it pulls all of the items under listed at Home Depot, not just what is under the selected category. Do I need to create a list to fix that? Also, my main goal is to get to where it populates the price and quantity per price based on the selection. I had it all figured out and then realized my drop down was way too long. Which is why I am trying to simplify my drop downs a little bit. I truly appreciate your help!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!