Move Columns in ListObject

• RoyUk. Currently the workbook that the table is copied to, already has many sheets (it is quite complex book) - So basically the table as is is copied.

The other point is that the sheet I copy from is a long standing form that others use, so I had thought about re arranging the columns in the orginal, but as other use it, I am hesitant to do that.

Once that table is in the main book, I then copy the table (with the re-arranged) columns to a specific sheet within the book (there is a choice of 4 different sheets the table is copied to.) (Other stuff happens between one copy and the another.)

I would like to be able to re-arrange once the table is in the new sheet (before then being copied to the final destination sheet.

I hope that makes sense.

BTW, as the destination book is quite complex, with lots of data, it is difficult to be able to attach the file.

• Ok, I spent a little bit more time on this, and I have come up with:

Code
    With ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1")
        .ListColumns.Add(4).Name = "Ctr"
        .ListColumns("Ctr").DataBodyRange = .ListColumns("Centre").DataBodyRange
        '.ListColumns("Centre").Delete
        .ListColumns.Add(7).Name = "Desc"
        .ListColumns("Desc").DataBodyRange = "Chq No " & .ListColumns("Chq No.").DataBodyRange & " " & .ListColumns("Description").DataBodyRange
    End With

but this only works if there is one row of data.

Any further help would be appreciated.

• It could, except that in the actual version I want to copy from, as 2 tables, and the headers are slightly different, in as much as it has one extra column. Essentially when that table is in the main workbook, I concatenate that into the description column (and then delete the original column).

Could I do something like

Code
        For Each cell In .ListColumns("Ctr").Range
        .ListColumns("Ctr").DataBodyRange = .ListColumns("Centre").DataBodyRange
        Next
        .ListColumns("Desc").DataBodyRange = "Chq No " & .ListColumns("Chq No.").DataBodyRange & " " & .ListColumns("Description").DataBodyRange
    End With
  • I think you will need to copy the individual columns separately to the correct locations.

If you had a Table set up with headers I would suggest using AdvancedFilter automated with a macro.

• Thank you for your response.

I have been trying different ways, and it might be that you are unable to concatenate with .ListObjects.

I am finding that this code:

Code
        .ListColumns("Ctr").DataBodyRange.Value = .ListColumns("Centre").DataBodyRange.Value

.ListColumns("Desc").DataBodyRange.Value = .ListColumns("Chq No.").DataBodyRange.Value & .ListColumns("Description").DataBodyRange.Value
            'above line give Type Mismatch error 1003
    End With

works perfectly, if in the final line I only have one value either

Code
    = .ListColumns("Chq No.").databodyrange.value

or

Code
    = .listcolumns("Description").databodyrange.value

If I try and have both, or even any text, such as

Code
    "Chq" & " " & .ListColumns("Chq No.").databodyrange.value

then the line will give a Type Mismatch Error

• Thanks all for your help, this code seems to do what I require:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!