Format specific text in excel string into italics

• Hello ozgrid community,

I am trying to format specific text within an excel cell but found that I cannot do so without changing the cell formatting.

I have cells with detail listing plant communities, these have the common name and the scientific name immediately after like so:

"Hedge lining access track. Vegetation: hawthorn Crataegus monogyna (D), bramble Rubus fruticosus agg (F), hazel Corylus avellana (O)"

The scientific names following the common name needs to be in italics and I need to complete this in multiple rows within a column, like so:

"Hedge lining access track. Vegetation: hawthorn Crataegus monogyna (D), bramble Rubus fruticosus agg (F), hazel Corylus avellana (O)"

The same species will feature frequently in these datasets.

Would anybody be able to advise on creating a macro to complete this task?

Many thanks in advance.

• Is there any pattern to the text? In your example there is a one-word English name and then a two-word Latin name and something in brackets. Does that vary?

This is probably the way to go, you just need a surefire way to identify the Latin names.
    [VBA]
    Sub x()

Dim n1 As Long, s As String, v, w, z, i As Long

v = Split(Range("A1"), ":")
    w = Split(v(1), ",")

For i = LBound(w) To UBound(w)
    z = Split(Trim(w(i)), " ")
    s = z(1) & " " & z(2)
    n1 = InStr(Range("A1"), s)
    Range("A1").Characters(n1, Len(s)).Font.Italic = True
    Next i

End Sub[/VBA]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!