Extract text string

• I need to extract a date from a text string. The string is a file name that will reside in a cell (and will be changed frequently. The date in blue is what I need extracted, only the date. I have extracted text strings before, however since I need to get it from the end (just before the file extension), AND the file is named with periods (instead of dashes) with the date... I am lost! Help! Thanks in advance!!!!

IIC WEEKLY - FRINGE BENEFITS RATES FOR PW PURPOSE AS OF 03.04.19.xlsx

Final desired format: 03-04-19

• Which part of "03.04.19" is the day, month and year?

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

• If the text string is in A1 then, the cell where you need the extracted date to be needs to be formatted with Custom Format "mm-dd-yy" and use this formula in that cell

=SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,LEN(A1)-12,8),".","-")

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

• You're welcome.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!