Needing help with matching data in excel

• I am a purchasing manager for a small electronics company and we are in the process of upgrading our manufacturing software. One vital step is to export our inventory from the old software to the new software. The new software will not accept the export from the old one. I have combined the exported data into one spreadsheet but I need to make the rows from the new to match the inventory from the old. I am not sure if this makes sense, but here is what I have. In column A, I have the part #'s exported from the NEW software (12,000 lines). Column B and C are blank. In column D I have the part #'s exported from the OLD software (25,000 lines). In column E I have the inventory quantities from the OLD software. Please note that column A and column D are not the same length, as I have cleaned and removed old and obsolete parts. I need some way to filter or match the GOOD part #'s to the inventory in column E. Does any of this makes sense? Anyway, if I can't find a way to filter or match, then I will have to manually enter some 12,000 lines of data. Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi and Welcome to the Forum :smile:

It would be great if you could design a 10 row mock-up file ...and attach it .... along with a representation of your expected result ...

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Thumbs Up" icon, below, in the bottom right corner:)

• Hello, I'm sorry not to have included this in my upload, even though you did ask me. my mind is not as young as it once was I'm afraid. To answer your question, yes, your TEST file looks like what I need. Basically, I'm trying move the inventory values to match the correct part # in my NEW part #'s.

• It does make sense ...

Have you tested Version 2 ... attached in the previous message ... ?

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Thumbs Up" icon, below, in the bottom right corner:)

• Hey, I am working from home now and I only have excel 2003. You may see some formatting differences. To answer your question, your file looks good but I did not understand the RED text. In this reply file I have added columns to the right ( in yellow) that show how I would like the data to look. Basically, I am hoping to line up my inventory values with the part # in the left most column (A).

• Once you have tested formula in Version 3 ... feel free to share your comments

• Glad to hear you could fix your problem ... :wink:

Thanks a lot for your Thanks ..AND for the Like ...:smile:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!