We found a problem with "xxxxx.xlsm"

• Hello,

My hard disk was damaged and i had to replace it and then reinstall Windows 10 and Office 2019 (I previously used Office 2016)

My problem is that whenever I open any xlsm file, I get this error message :

We found a problem with "xxxxx.xlsm". Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can ? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes

After clicking Yes, all the code within the worbook is deleted

My xlsm files are not corrupted. I tried with many of them, current ones as backuped ones.

I have the same problem with MS Access database

What can I do to solve it ?

Many thanks

• Have you tried them on a different computer?

Try opening and selecting No. Then close and re-open, this has worked for me in the past.

You could hold down the CTRL key while right-clicking the file to open it in safe mode, and possibly be able to see a problem in the sheets. If not you can copy all the sheets and VBA to a new workbook and save that workbook. See if the error occurs with the new workbook.

• Thanks for your help

No I did not try on another PC. I am currently travelling far away from home and I have no possibility to try another PC. If I were home, I would buy a new notebook. I previouly had Windows 10 french and Office 2016 French. I now have Windows 10 US and Office 2019 US (no other possibility here in Thailand)

All my xlsm files worked perfectly before I replaced my hard disk. I did not mention it in my post, but I have the same problem with the VBA code within MS Access databases. I think the problem does not come from the workbooks themselves

If I answer "no", the file doesn't open and I get nothing

If i open the file with CTRL, same error message.

• I just wondered if the change of language might have caused a problem in the code or a formula, but if French was the original it is probably not the cause.

• Can you record macros?

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

• OK. And are there any files that have VBA in them that you can open without issue?

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

• That's a contradictory statement, unless you have never been able to open macro files.

I'd suggest you need to do a repair of your Office installation as it sounds like VBA isn't installed properly.

Rory

• No need

No contradictory statements.

I explained everthing works fine now

I reinstall Windows 10 French and Office 2016 French and the problem no longer occurs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!