Vba - copy specific range and NOT entire row

• Hello everybody, I am new on OZgrid and a noob in vba (6 months or so) but I love it and puting toghether bits and pieces with a lot of forum readings and codes I found online, I already built some nice applications (nice for a noob :) )

I am currently working on a new project and I have managed to built userforms for it.

I am stuck however at one macro for this project. This macro opens a message box where the user inputs a number (id) that can be found in all sheets in the column I and then it loops in all the sheets and if it finds the ans number then copies/pastes all the entire rows containing that specific ID; it then pastes it on the sheet I specified in the code.

Now it works, but I need to make two modifications:

1. The code copies/pastes all the rows that have that specific id/number in column I on the destination sheet, but it copies the Entire ROW. I need it to only copy from A to P range of the rows that meet the criteria NOT the entire row. This is very important as the row on the sheets may be very long (up to AG column) and in the destination sheet I only want to be pasted the range from A:P

I know I have to change this line: xRRg.EntireRow.Copy, but I have no idea how. do I need to set another range. How?

2. Second problem, I noticed it copies twice some rows, I do not know why and this is not ok, as it messes up the totals I will calculate...

Here is the code I have been working with. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance

• You could use:

Code
    Intersect(xRRg.EntireRow, xWs.Range("A:P")).Copy

instead.

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

• rory thank you very much for answering and for help.

I changed the line intersect to Set xRg=Intersect(xRRg.EntireRow, xWs.Range("A:P")).Copy as per your input, but it still copies the entire row.

I'm sure it is my error. Should I also change the xRRg.EntireRow.Copy line somehow, or was it that line in the first place I should have changed?

Thank you in advance

• EDIT

I have made the follwing changes in the code and now it works, it copies the rows conainting the Id but only from A:P

The problem is the code has now become very slow, while before these changes it was really fast despite the many sheets it has to loop through. Any suggestions?

Besides, what If I wanted the code to copy non adiacent cells? Would this be possible. Let's say for example copy rows only cells, A, b, C, H, J ,Z, AA. Thank you rory and anyone willing to help, really appreciated.

thank you

• I changed it agian, of course it was my error, your line was a clear rply to my request...sorry :) Now it is fast and precise.

This was the only lne I had to change: xRRg.EntireRow.Copy

Changed it as per your suggestion to Intersect(xRRg.EntireRow, xWs.Range("A:P")).Copy

Works perfectly and does not copy twice any row.

Thank you so so very much, you helped tremendously.

If you are willing to help any further, I have one more request:

1. The destination sheet looses any headers or fixed formating I give and I would like for it to keep headers and formating if possible. How can I do that?

Thank you again.

• To copy specific columns, you could use:

Code
    XrRg.Entirerow.Range("A1:C1,H1,J1,Z1:AA1").copy

for example.

Your current code deletes and then recreates the Document sheet, so any titles you add beforehand are naturally gone. Either set the titles in the code, or don't delete the sheet.

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

• rory thnk you very much. I cancelled the lines that told the code to delete the sheet, now it maintaines headers and formating.

I know you already helped a bunch but I have one more request, if you will be so kind to help.

It seems that sometimes, it still copies twice a row. This is a big no no for the use intended.

So I need to add a line in the code that specifies to copy and paste only ONCE every row that meets the id criteria.

Can you please help? Anyhow again thank you.

• It sounds like you just need an Exit For line after the copy and paste so that you don't bother processing any more rows.

Rory

• rory thank you very much for your last reply.

Exit for does not work, because it makes the for loop stop after copying and pasting the first row with that id. So he finds the first row that meets the criteria, pastes it and then exits so he ignores all the other rows.

Thank you very much anyway. Much apreciated all the great suggestions you have provided me.

Oh just for the record, I wanted to let you know that starting from your suggestion I also figured out how to copy only certain cells (non contiguous) from the row that meets criteria and not the entire row. For example A-C, H, P, Z.

Thank you again

• I'm not really sure what you wanted then. The original code would not copy the same row more than once. If you were seeing duplicates in the results, then there must be duplicates in the source data.

Rory

• I agree Rory, the original code should not copy one row more than once. You understood perfectly, however due to so many rows maybe, it sometimes copies twice some of the rows. Hoever I chose a target column that can not have dupplicates in it and added .Remove dupplicates, so I think I solved this snarl.

Thank you very much rory, you have been of great help to me!!

• Hi, In the same code if I want the worksheet to copy the label then what should I do. Basically, the new worksheet should also have the label.

• Welcome to the Forum

Please start your own post. Posting in another member's Thread is known as hijacking and is not allowed here. By all means add a link to a Thread that may be related to your question.

All VBA code posted in the forum must be wrapped in code tags, which you omitted, including single-line code snippets.Be sure to use them in future posts.

How to use code tags

Just highlight all of the code and press the <> in the post menu above button to add the code tags.

I strongly suggest that you read the Forum Rules, you have broken two with one post.

Afterwards start your own question.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!