Conditional Formatting always applying

• I wondered if someone might be able to help me with an issue I am having when applying conditional formatting based on the value of another cell

I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to use conditional formatting to highlight the cells depending on how they compare to a value in a cell on another sheet. The problem I am having is when I try to apply a rule to highlight cells in column Q of my ‘Report sheet’ it automatically highlights the cells even if they are blank. (not sure if this is because the cell it references contains a formula)

The setup of my spreadsheet is as follows.:

I have two sheets ‘Report’ and ‘Data’ on the report sheet. In column Q I have a rule that states

Highlight if cell value is greater than =Data!$L$10 this then applies the formatting to the whole column. I think this has something to do with the formula which is in cell L10 which is ‘=L7/3’ I have tried playing around with using IFERROR in cell L10 but still get the same outcome. I have attached a sample sheet, I realise this is probably something very simple I am overlooking but I’m not sure what

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!