Data Validation (List) automatically changing my list to dates

• Hi, everyone.

This should be simple, but it's escaping me. I want to put validation on a cell in the form of a pick list. However, my items to pick from are 5/10, 10/5, 11/5, 5/11, etc. The problem is as soon as I type those into the list, Excel changes them to dates. I don't want that. How do I force the validation to use the text I give it? Please bear in mind that I am populating this list through a macro and cannot reference a range of cells which I know would solve my problem. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    JJ

• Re: Data Validation (List) automatically changing my list to dates

Have you tried inserting a single quote ahead of the value?

[SIZE=1]It's like asking a mechanic to fix your car, without actually taking your car to him. Post your code/file and you'll get much quicker and more accurate solutions to your problem.[/SIZE]

• Re: Data Validation (List) automatically changing my list to dates

Have you tried formatting the cell through code either before or after the validation list is applied?

[SIZE=1]It's like asking a mechanic to fix your car, without actually taking your car to him. Post your code/file and you'll get much quicker and more accurate solutions to your problem.[/SIZE]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!