Color Macro $30

• Re: Color Macro $30

The color is only changing in every other row for me as I have already posted and even uploaded a picture
    The code showed that the scope of work was still not understood (selection>1).
    The scope work had been changed without discusion (disclaimer) long after taking on the job. Those items still apply, the previous programmers were accomodating and more capable.
    Ozgrid showed quiet a double standard by censoring me and sending me an email for "insulting" this character without even bothering to read the posts, even now.

OK, so I think we are making progress now. I havent seen your actual file, but from looking at your screenshot it looks like you have conditional formatting on the rows. Conditional formatting takes precedence over a cells file colour.

Building on Smallmans code, See code below and the attachment and let me know if this hits your requirements. Note, the down side to this is that once you apply the fill colour via the Macro, the conditional formatting conditions for those cells are removed, but I understand from one of your posts above that this isnt a problem for you. The code also works if multiple cells are selected on multiple sheets

There is no error checking and I have not tested as I am in a bit of rush this evening and I am flying blind, as I havent seen your file. Let me know your feedback.

Regards,
    Ger

Files

Why are Halloween and Christmas the same? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25... ;)

The code already looks better. Your line of code msgbox "Select something" indicates you acutally read my posts, thanks for taking the time to do that.

I look forward to testing out the code tonight, but I imagine it should work fine. I never intentionally use conditional formatting as I do not find it useful, therefore I am not that familiar with it and so if it is there on the worksheet that is probably what is causing the problem. I will report back toinght, thx.

Just as an option to make the code nice and succinct and promote reuse of code

Regards
    [SIZE=3]Anthony
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=2]You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.[/SIZE]

Good call Smuzoen... looking good.

Ger

Ger's modifications worked great. The formating delete seems to affect the row heights, word wrapping or something for the row but I undersand that is probably a consequence of clearing the formats and thats fine. I would rather have the colors work reliably. My color change macro worked 90% of the time, just enough that I did not bother researching what was going on the 10% of the time it failed.

smuzoen - that is some extremely clean looking code, very easy to read and use. I ask that the projects I pay for here just indicate for example Written by SomeUsername, Licensed as GNU GPL V3, and they can leave it at that. If they want to take the time to do the formal license, that is great but simply typing the username or name and the license is fine by me. My intent is not that the code be legally tied defined that way, but just to promote the use of the license. It may not even be possible to legally license VBA that way, i dont know. People unfamiliar with it may wonder what it is, google or youtube it and find out. They don't have to agree with the license or philosophy, my intent again is just to help people know what it is, what is does and why. This looks like a completed product to me, thx Ger and Smuzoen.

What should I pay? (Paypal email or username needed)

I first I thought it would not ben an issue since the active sheet seems to always have a selection, I think. The other worksheets probably dont. I consider the project completed but wanted to mention that it is currently not coloring in selections on the other sheets. I am taking a look at it and might add something like

dim w as worksheet

for each w in worksheets
    run the code
    next w

I made some minor changes to get this to work on all worksheets. However I think the original with Kris's correction might be more useful in general since most of the time I will want to just change colors on one worksheet. The code below will check every sheet for a range selection and change it's color which is not always helpful and complicates the simple function of the program above.

@ Kris, good call... I hadnt considered that.

@ NoNonFreeSoftwr, I'm really glad it is working now and that we could come up with a solution for you. I have spoken to both Smallman and Smuzoen and we are all in agreement that you should send the remainder of the money (27USD) to [email protected]

Thanks and Best Regards
    Ger

snb - I am getting the impression that I am not your favorite person lol. I respect your opinion though and if you want to discuss anything openly at some other thread, I welcome that, but this thread should probably be closed. I am not sure what I could have done differently here nor do I understand what your apparent objection to me is. You can start another thread and speak your mind anytime ok?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!