• I have attached a file with two macros in the vbeditor
    this may not be an ideal xl sheet but I got it from somebody else

the macro testthree works
    but after removing autofilter
    the macro testtwo does NOT work. this uses variable in criteria

in intermediate widow
    I typed

?"""=*" & x & "*"""
    this is in testtwo (using variable in the criteria)
    and hit enter I get
    "=*>>1*"

this seems to agree with the criteria in testthree. still test two does not work

where do I do the mistake?

• Re: using variable in criteria of autofilter macro xl 2007

Code
    Sub testtwo()
    Dim x As String, y As String, cfind As Range
    x = ">>1"
    Range("A1:S798").AutoFilter field:=8, Criteria1:="=*" & x & "*"
    End Sub

You do not need the

Code
    Operator:=xlAnd

Be careful of cut and paste coding - try to understand the code from first principles. I am not sure what the two variables "y" and "cfind" are for?
    Have a look at some tutorials http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/autofilter-vba-criteria.htm

Regards
    [SIZE=3]Anthony
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=2]You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.[/SIZE]

smuzoen
    I aplogise. yes I did cut and paste. I modified but missed few unnecessary iteme. Yes that works. I am doing vba for the past ten years. still I am confused with double quotes in vba and do mistakes. thanks once again. I should study about double quotes in vba.

No need to apologise. Using quotes in VBA can be quite confusing. You were on the right track and using the immediate window is great technique for testing assignments and expressions.

Regards
    [SIZE=3]Anthony
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND&WCF_AMPERSAND[SIZE=2]You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.[/SIZE]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!