Remove apostrophes to find duplicates; cross-reference worksheets for duplicates

• Okay, so I have been trying to figure out how to do this for about 6 hours straight now - my headache is unimaginable, and I keep just about giving up before thinking, "this is ridiculous, there has to be a way... I'm just not doing it right!" So, hopefully you guys can help me out. I've read multiple threads and articles on other websites, but everything seems to be specific to each situation so it just isn't working right. I've also tried to use code from some of the threads here, but either it isn't set up quite the way I need it or I'm doing it wrong because that hasn't worked either (I have NEVER used code before, total newbie... but I can follow directions and I did watch some tutorials and etc. today, so I'm praying I'm not too hopeless). So... here goes...

Part of my job is to match MAC IDs (serial numbers) from modems that have been returned to my company from clients with the cable order they were originally assigned to. There are three possible cable companies the modems could belong to, and I export the information that I need from their databases into Excel in order to combine their data into one workbook with a separate sheet for each company. I do this so that I can search by MAC ID in one step, rather than searching through each company's database separately. A coworker of mine physically handles the returned modems and imports the scanned MAC IDs to FileMaker, where I can go through them and then search for each (USC will not scan them when they pick them up, so we have no information to match them with except the MAC ID). We were working on finding a more efficient way to accomplish this, but our Logistics manager recently left and so now I am in limbo with this process. My coworker sometimes sends out spreadsheets of modems that he is shipping to a cable company, though we don't have them matched with a specific order yet. I would like to be able to search between his spreadsheet and my spreadsheets for duplicate MAC IDs so that it is quicker to match them up - that way I can figure out which MAC IDs are listed in the cable company's information (sometimes they do not have them at all and we're just SOL) without having to go through and search by every single MAC ID that my coworker has shipped out.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how, or if it is even possible, to cross-reference worksheets and/or workbooks to search for these duplicates. I finally gave up on that endeavor and decided to try pasting just the MAC IDs from each company and my coworker's spreadsheet into a new spreadsheet and searching for duplicates through conditional formatting. On a very small scale, this seemed to work (though it was still time-consuming to go through and search the original sheet for the matching MAC IDs to actually get the order information from them and then compile all of that in yet another worksheet... but, I digress...).

However, I noticed once I tried this on a larger scale that it was not going to work properly because one of the cable companies that I pull information from exports their data to Excel with apostrophes before the MAC ID numbers (the numbers often contain both numbers and letters). With the smaller sample, when I copied and pasted the MAC IDs into the new spreadsheet I did a find for the apostrophes and replaced them with blanks and then also did a find for spaces and replaced them with blanks as well. I thought this had taken care of the issue because they appeared to be gone, but once all 5000 and some odd MAC IDs were pasted, I noticed that some of them - not all - had converted to scientific notation, and even when I changed the formatting back to text it was all funky and not the correct serial number any more. After I had tried various ways to fix it I ended up frustrated and closed that worksheet and tried to start again to see when exactly they converted and etc. In the new worksheet when I searched for the apostrophes it wouldn't let me replace them with blanks (it said it replaced them but they were still there) and when I tried to replace them with spaces it would but then some of the numbers would convert to scientific notation part of the time, and when I got lucky and they didn't it wouldn't let me get rid of the spaces. I tried using the trim function but couldn't figure out how to get it to apply to the entire column. When I entered =trim(A:A) for the entire column it just did nothing... another time it replaced everything with 0s. I tried running code I found on this forum to get rid of apostrophes (right-click sheet, view code, pasted, clicked on sheet and/or exited) and nothing happened at all. I also tried code for trimming spaces and it didn't do anything. I tried to clean and had the same issue. I am positive that it is something I am doing or not doing rather than Excel but I have no idea what it is or how to get to the outcome I want. There has to be a way, though, because the other two cable companies do not have apostrophes when I export them and I can search for dupes just fine.

Ideally, I would like to get to a point where I could export the MAC IDs in FileMaker to an excel spreadsheet and search for dupes between those and my collaborative workbook with the cable company information in it - but there are over 1200 MAC IDs in FM that would need to be looked for (each cable company also has a decent amount of MAC IDs to cross-reference with; one is relatively small with only 500 or so, the company that I am having this issue with has over 5000, and the final company has over 15000). Annnnd assuming that I can at some point get to where I can search for duplicates within them, I would like to find a way to have all of the information in one workbook and have each individual match distinguished in some way so I don't have to do a physical search for it (for example, if I find that E86D5279C371 has a duplicate under cable company A, I would like E86D5279C371 to be highlighted in both places a distinct color, or something, from all the others so that I can easily spot it).

I would really, REALLY, appreciate any help/advice, because I am at a total loss at this point and I really don't want to keep yelling at Google for not helping me find the answer :tongue:. Sorry this is such a book, just trying to be as complete as possible. I was going to attach samples but for some reason it won't work :-(. THANK YOU in advance!!!!!!!

• Re: Remove apostrophes to find duplicates; cross-reference worksheets for duplicates

...was going to attach samples but for some reason it won't work...

Probably because there's a limit on the size of attachments - somewhere about 100kb. That should be more than enough as only a sample of the data is needed; and a sample will probably be needed here.

• Re: Remove apostrophes to find duplicates; cross-reference worksheets for duplicates

Unfortunately, no, all of the MAC IDs on a single worksheet are not unique. Each cable company usually has duplicates within their own columns/sheets as well, because they often recycle the modems once they receive them back.

I think you are right! I removed all of the formatting and was able to get it to attach -- the formatting on CC B (the one I'm having the issue with over the apostrophes) was 176kb all by itself. I put it all in one workbook for simplicity. The first 3 sheets are samples from each of the 3 cable companies, and then I have a sample from what my coworker sends out that needs checked against the others for duplicates, and finally a sample from the FileMaker export, if I can ever get to a point to check those, as well.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Okay, just as an FYI you can get around the apostrophe issue by doing the following:

- Copy the data with the leading apostrophes
    - Paste Special (Values) into an area that doesn't have any formatting in place
    - Copy what you have just pasted
    - Paste Special (All) back to where your original data was.

Boom - No apostrophes :smile:

I did make this, but it will only work where the ID's are unique in the workbook:

(over 100k limit so had to use DB)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t18ohw4sarro8yb/ExampleMAC.xlsm

If anyone wants to have a play with it.

Okay, just as an FYI you can get around the apostrophe issue by doing the following:

- Copy the data with the leading apostrophes
    - Paste Special (Values) into an area that doesn't have any formatting in place
    - Copy what you have just pasted
    - Paste Special (All) back to where your original data was.

Boom - No apostrophes :smile:

That doesn't seem to be working... I followed your directions to T, and when I pasted back they are still there. Some of them have one, two, or even three leading apostrophes?! After doing that I WAS able to 'find' all of the apostrophes and replace them with blanks, though, so hopefully that will work just as well...

What you made looks amazing, I am all excited :) Thank you so much!!! Do you have any idea how I might be able to clear the content of duplicate cells of the MAC ID column? I have sorted the sheet by MAC ID and I can find the duplicates through conditional formatting, but I don't want to delete the duplicates because I need to know that there are multiple orders and the information in the remainder of the row (if the MAC ID is on the sheet twice then it is most likely attached to two or more Account IDs, and I'll have to use the date it was returned and etc. to figure out which one it should be linked with). If it is sorted and the duplicates are blank in the MAC ID column, though, I will know when I look for it that all of the rows below it without a MAC ID also had the same one. Does that make sense? I can do it by hand, but one of the cable companies (the one with 15k records) has a LOT of duplicates, and it would take an extremely long time.

Wellll, so I just tried it with a small portion of the cable company workbook (I used about 300 of two of the companies, the ones I had gone through already and cleared cells of duplicates out of by hand like I mentioned above) and the FM import (also minus dupes) and I received an error :-(.

"Run-time error '1004':
    'C:\Users\Lynsey.*******\Documents\Work\KIMBERLEE**********.xlsx' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the location is correct."

Did I save it wrong or something? I just saved it under "My Documents" --> "Work", as "ExampleMAC.xlsm". Boo, I hate being so bad with these things.

Quote from lvbsms2004;720288

Wellll, so I just tried it with a small portion of the cable company workbook (I used about 300 of two of the companies, the ones I had gone through already and cleared cells of duplicates out of by hand like I mentioned above) and the FM import (also minus dupes) and I received an error :-(.

"Run-time error '1004':
    'C:\Users\Lynsey.*******\Documents\Work\KIMBERLEE**********.xlsx' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the location is correct."

Did I save it wrong or something? I just saved it under "My Documents" --> "Work", as "ExampleMAC.xlsm". Boo, I hate being so bad with these things.

To be fair I hadn't tested this because I wrote it on my iMac and there are a handful of features in that code that don't work with Office for Mac - so I effectively wrote this "blind"

I'll load it up on my windows machine later today and debug it, I also had a really good suggestion from KjBox (one of the Ozgrid Dev Team) that could answer your problems very efficiently so watch this space....

Hi..

To remove the apostrophes in the first column..

Try:

Code
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim x
        With Columns(1)
            x = .Replace("'", "")
        End With
    End Sub

Can you summarise what you want to do.. I think many people will bypass your Thread as the first post is like reading a Mills and Boone novel.. ;)

What I did digest (I have the attention span of a goldfish), made me think you can probably use the Scripting Dictionary for the duplicates..

Hi,

I am a bit confused over your set up. Can you confirm or clarify the following:

Initially you start with 5 workbooks, 1 from each Cable Company (total 3 workbooks), 1 from your co-woker with received MAC IDs (and possibly an additional one with dispatched IDs??), and your FM workbook.

You manually import the Cable Co. lists into your FM file, how often does this need to be done?

Your co-worker creates a workbook using FileMaker and sends it to you (how often, and is it a new list each time or a list that gets added to?) and you again add that to your file.

That would mean that the sample file you attached is a true representation of your actual file, correct?

Is the sheet FM_Export an accumulation of data received from your co-worker?

Please explain again exactly where you need duplicates removed, and what needs to be matched with what, and where the what happens when a match is found - ie where is the result of a match to be placed?

Thanks.

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

Fixed the workbook opening issue - schoolboy error forgetting that workbook being opened becomes the active workbook *doh*

For some reason my UDF doesn't even work, so gonna go with some code that KjBox kindly supplied.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Quote from apo;720305

Hi..

To remove the apostrophes in the first column..

Try:

Code
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim x
        With Columns(1)
            x = .Replace("'", "")
        End With
    End Sub

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't get it to work, either :-(. Here is a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4ue…2014-07-19%2013.17.59.png ... Am I doing something wrong??

Can you summarise what you want to do.. I think many people will bypass your Thread as the first post is like reading a Mills and Boone novel.. ;)

I think you are probably right LOL. I'll kill two birds with one stone and summarize while I clarify below for KjBox, too... I was trying to be thorough but overexplaining kinda over-complicates, too, I think :facepull:

What I did digest (I have the attention span of a goldfish), made me think you can probably use the Scripting Dictionary for the duplicates..

... I dunno what the scripting dictionary is lol... oh my gosh, maybe I am hopeless, after all... :?

Initially you start with 5 workbooks, 1 from each Cable Company (total 3 workbooks), 1 from your co-woker with received MAC IDs (and possibly an additional one with dispatched IDs??), and your FM workbook.

Sorry, I think that trying to explain it thoroughly really just ended up making it more confusing! Initially I start with 3 workbooks: Workbook 1 with a sheet for each cable company (i.e. 3 sheets, one for each CCa, CCb, and CCc), Workbook 2 from my coworker with MAC IDs for modems we have just rec'd and he is shipping back to a cable company but still need to be matched with a particular order (1 sheet), and Workbook 3 that includes all of the MAC IDs that we have ever received back but have not yet matched with a particular order (1 sheet, manually exported to Excel from FM). Workbook 3 includes both modems that we still have in our possession and those that have been shipped back but are not matched with a particular order.

You manually import the Cable Co. lists into your FM file, how often does this need to be done?

I manually import the CC databases, which contain all of their historical orders for our company with client information and the MAC IDs that belong to those orders, into individual sheets in Workbook 1. I do this about once a month, to make sure they it includes the newest orders made. When I import them to Workbook 1 I have to re-import the entire database, so it is a new list each time (though the majority contains the same information).

Your co-worker creates a workbook using FileMaker and sends it to you (how often, and is it a new list each time or a list that gets added to?) and you again add that to your file.

My coworker creates Workbook 2 based on his physical scanning of modems as we receive them at the office. If he believes he knows which CC they belong to he places them in a box for that CC and keeps a list of the MAC IDs for that box in Workbook 2. He then sends out Workbook 2 to the CC for verification before he ships them. These become a priority for matching to a particular order to ensure that we are not billed for them by the CC once they have left our office. Obviously, since he makes a new Workbook 2 for each CC and box, there are often more than one Workbook 2 at any given time and they are always new. I compare each Workbook 2 with my Workbook 1 individually for dupes to determine which of the MAC IDs we have just shipped are included in a CC's order info.

That would mean that the sample file you attached is a true representation of your actual file, correct?

The sample file that I attached is a true representation of all of the data on all of the workbooks combined. The first 3 sheets are usually in Workbook 1 by themselves, the 4th sheet is from my coworker's Workbook 2 by itself, and the final sheet is from Workbook 3. They are usually separate but I do not have an issue combining the sheets on Workbook 1 and 3 into a single Workbook. Workbook 2 may be more difficult to combine into the same file, since it is always different and there are often multiple Workbook 2s floating around in my email inbox.

Is the sheet FM_Export an accumulation of data received from your co-worker?

In theory, yes. Workbook 3 should be an accumulation of data received from my co-worker bc after emailing Workbook 2 to the CC (and myself) he is supposed to import it into the running list of all modems in FM that need to be matched with an order, which is where I get Workbook 3 from - part of the issue is that he often does not do this right away. The only way to make sure that these are made a priority is to work off of Workbook 2 itself. Workbook 3 will also contain MAC IDs for modems that have not been shipped bc we are unsure which CC they belong to (and thus never made it to a Workbook 2, but were still imported to FM by my coworker).

Please explain again exactly where you need duplicates removed, and what needs to be matched with what, and where the what happens when a match is found - ie where is the result of a match to be placed?

When Workbook 1 is created it has all of the info that has ever existed for every internet order we have ever placed with the three CCs, with each CC on a different sheet in the workbook. CCs recycle their modems and send them back out to new clients once they have been returned by previous clients. This means that a particular MAC ID may be listed in their info more than once, creating dupes within the MAC ID column. For example, say we rec'd a modem back on 1/1/14 with the MAC ID 1A2B3C4D5E6F. When I search for this MAC ID in Workbook 1 it finds 1A2B3C4D5E6F in 2 different rows of the sheet for CCa. This means that this modem has been attached to 2 different orders in its history, one with a disconnect date of, say, 6/1/09 and the other with a disconnect date of, say, 11/1/13. Clearly I should attach this modem to the latter order, because it is closer to the date we rec'd it back and just makes more sense.

I can't just remove the dupes then, because though the information in the MAC ID column is duplicated, the information in the remainder of the row will be different than it is in the MAC ID's duplicate. If I need to get rid of the dupes to be able to search efficiently, then I need to have a way to sort the MAC IDs so that the dupes will be beside each other, letting me know they were both the same, and then also clear the contents of the cell containing the duplicated MAC ID while preserving the information in the columns following it. I cannot do this by hand because it would take too long - one CC has 15,000 orders and the number of modems which have been recycled is extremely large. The CCs are also human, and so there are times when there really is just a completely duplicated order for no apparent reason, as well. Differentiating the two duplicates by hand would also take a long time.

Okay, I'll try to summarize as simply as possible LOL.
    What needs to be matched with what: the columns containing MAC IDs in Workbook 2 and 3 (at separate times is fine) each need to be compared with columns containing MAC IDs in Workbook 1 for matches. Based on the large number of matches that are going to be present, I need to be able to distinguish where in the two files each individual match occurs. For example, if MAC ID 1A2B3C4D5E6F is showing up in row 300 of Workbook 3, I need to be able to easily see where 1A2B3C4D5E6F occurs in Workbook 1, too - is it on the sheet for CCa, b, or c and then is it in row 200? 10,000? Somewhere in between?

Since I haven't managed to get this far, I have not set up a system for where the match should be placed if it is found. Ideally, if MAC ID 1A2B3C4D5E6F from Workbook 3 is found on the sheet for CCa in Workbook 1, the info from both would be combined and placed in a separate sheet or file for me to go through, double check, and then upload back into FM. If MAC ID 1A2B3C4D5E6F is found 3 times on the sheet for CCa in Workbook 1, then all of the info from each would be combined in a way that preserves the separate orders it has been attached to with the info from Workbook 3 so that I can go through those and determine which order specifically it should be assigned to and then upload it back into FM. That sounds really complicated to accomplish, though, and at this point I am completely fine with just having a way to search the two workbooks for dupes that I can easily find like I mentioned above and then manually combining the info on a separate file to be uploaded back into FM myself. I just need to be able to find them LOL.

Does this make more sense? I hope so, cause I am going to start confusing myself soon haha. :tongue:

Thank you guys SO much for all of your help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!!!! :flower::tumble:

It's getting real late - if anyone wants to pick up where I'm going to bed this is what I'm working with at the mo (obviously there is a build up to this bit):

Quote from S O;720370

Right, I've got an idea! Bear with me...

Awesome, I can't wait!! :thumbup:

P.S. Sorry about the funky reply times... I'm in the US so I think our time zones are a bit off lol.

OK, things are a bit clearrer now! Couple of questions though.

You mention disconnect date in your Post# 14 and that in the case of duplicate MAC IDs you need to keep the one with the most recent disconnect date. That makes perfect sense, but, there is no disconnect date in any of the 3 Cable Co sheets! I see there is a "Status" column on 2 of the 3 Cable Co sheets, does CC A also have a Status column in their database? If so, then, in all 3 cases, is the most recent re-issue of router "Active", and any duplicates of that MAC ID, "Disconnected"? What is SEP ID, is that sequential for history of a router? The reason I ask is because if the most recent issue of the Router can be identified, by filtering or sorting, then that can be kept and any duplicates removed automatically.

Workbook 2 (sheet 4 in sample) has only MAC ID and Received date, where is the shipping date? USC Pick Up date?

In Workbook 3 (sheet 5 in sample) I assume you need the columns filled for matched MAC IDs. Customer Account No. appears only on CC A and CC C, id DBID on CC B the account number?

Where does Cable Order Number come from?

Maybe some of those are filled in when you get the file from FM.

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

I'm glad it is a little clearer! I guess I didn't realize how complicated it really was until I tried explaining it LOL.

You mention disconnect date in your Post# 14 and that in the case of duplicate MAC IDs you need to keep the one with the most recent disconnect date. That makes perfect sense, but, there is no disconnect date in any of the 3 Cable Co sheets! I see there is a "Status" column on 2 of the 3 Cable Co sheets, does CC A also have a Status column in their database? If so, then, in all 3 cases, is the most recent re-issue of router "Active", and any duplicates of that MAC ID, "Disconnected"? What is SEP ID, is that sequential for history of a router? The reason I ask is because if the most recent issue of the Router can be identified, by filtering or sorting, then that can be kept and any duplicates removed automatically.

Right you are, there isn't a disconnect date in any of them on the sample. When I export them from the CC's website they are each exported individually, and then I go through and get rid of the info that I don't usually use before copying them all into a single workbook. CCb&c do originally have disconnect date columns. Since I have previously been going through FM records one-by-one and 'finding' the MAC ID in Workbook 1 I usually compare with other tables in our Broadband DB which also have that info, so I delete those columns when I compile. CCa does not have that option when it is exported, because the CCa sheet is not technically an export of the entire CCa database, unlike the other two. As CCa is the largest cable company, it has an enormous number of orders from us (upwards of 80k). When I export CCa's information, I run one of their pre-made reports, their "MAC ID Report", which only pulls information for orders that have a MAC ID attached to them (unfortunately, the technicians do not always make note of what modem they've left with a client). They do not include any disconnect dates or a status in this report. I usually have to find this information in our 'Client' table in FM, based on the SEP ID and/or Account ID from the CC. The SEP ID is the unique ID given to each one of our clients and has no bearing on whether or not they have ever ordered internet through us. The CCs include it in their data because it is how we reference our clients.

In all three cases, despite the missing info from CCa, the most recent re-issue of the router is not necessarily 'active' while the duplicates 'disconnected'. More often than not, they are all disconnected - since the client has returned the modem they most likely withdrew from our services or asked the CC to remove internet services, and in either case the order would be disconnected. Also, while it is usually the most recent order that a modem belongs to, that isn't always the case. Sometimes, for one reason or another, it should be matched with an older order... and sometimes we do not have record of the MAC ID previously being matched with either order in our own DB, so it needs to be matched with both to make sure that we are not paying for equipment that was clearly previously returned and sent back out. Given the many independent variables, the best we've been able to come up with so far is to go through the orders a MAC ID has been assigned to in its past ourselves to determine which it should be linked to at this time.

Workbook 2 (sheet 4 in sample) has only MAC ID and Received date, where is the shipping date? USC Pick Up date?

The MAC ID and received date are the only info that he puts on Workbook 2, I'm assuming because it is sent to the CCs and they wouldn't need to know when USC picked it up. There is no shipping date yet because he doesn't ship them until he receives verification from the CC that the modems do actually belong to them. If he sends out a Workbook 2 after he has shipped them, he will name the entire workbook the date that it was shipped and put the USC shipping ID in the email. I don't know when he puts the rest of the info in there to upload it to FM, or if he uses the same sheet or starts a whole new workbook to import. He's not always the most efficient... I just tell myself that there is (hopefully) a method to his madness.

In Workbook 3 (sheet 5 in sample) I assume you need the columns filled for matched MAC IDs. Customer Account No. appears only on CC A and CC C, id DBID on CC B the account number? Where does Cable Order Number come from?

Yep, in Workbook 3 I need the ACCT ID and SEP ID columns filled. The Cable Order Number isn't really important and doesn't need to be filled - it's just extra info that may be in there to help find the CC and order it belongs to if all else fails. It is usually blank, as those in the sample are, when I get the file from FM. Yes, you are right that the DBID is the account number for CCb (that's what they call it, not sure why). When I export CCa I usually change their heading for the ACCT ID from "Service Location: Account ID" to "Account ID" just because the column doesn't need to be as wide then (:tongue:). I usually leave CCb and c alone because they are relatively short anyway. Our SEP ID is also called different things in each of their sheets. CCa originally labels it, "Service Location: Ntl Sales Enduser ID" so I usually change it to "SEP ID." CCb usually labels the SEP ID column, "Par_SEP" and I usually change theirs as well. CCc is the only one that labels theirs "SEP ID," besides us. They all obviously call the MAC ID column something different, as well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!