New to Macros, Need help

• I consider myself fairly good with Excel and making spreadsheets, and I am looking into going to the next level.
    I am in the Army, and we make trackers for everything. I have a spreadsheet with all our equipment, what platoon it belongs to, what type of equipment it is, serial number.... It is difficult for me to send the document to people and explain to them how to filter out only their platoon, or filter just vehicles.... I want to make a button at the top of the document, that when clicked, will show specific information from the spreadsheet. The same way as if I filtered out specific text under columbs.
    Such as, the Headquarters can click the button that says Headquarters and it will filter columb A to display only HQ
    any help you can give me will help
    thank you.

• Re: New to Macros, Need help

Hi Max,

And welcome to Ozgrid.

Your tittle "New to Macros, Need Help" whilst I appreciate your intention its not the best place to put this comment, only because the tittle is used by Forum users to search on key words that they can then either help and or use. Perhaps a better tittle would be "Button to filter data".

If you can attach a sample of your data (if its not sensitive, or even a dummy sample) I may be able to help or provide suggestions.

Regards,

Gizzmo

I would suggest converting it to a table:
    1) highlight the entire range
    2) go to Insert Tab
    3) click Table
    4) click OK

This creates dropdown filters for each column which users can use to filter the info. No need for a button.

Does this address your problem?

If you do need a button then like Gizzmo said attached the spreadsheet you want and then someone may write you code for the button.

Why use a macro when AutoFilter should take less time to explain than explaining how to enable macros?

Also to convert to a Table you need only select any cell with in the range before converting. The advantage of a Table here is that it will expand and contract as data is added or removed.

Hi royUK,

Agreed, but from the orginal post

.... It is difficult for me to send the document to people and explain to them how to filter out only their platoon, or filter just vehicles.... I want to make a button at the top of the document, that when clicked, will show specific information from the spreadsheet. The same way as if I filtered out specific text under columbs.

I get the impression that Max wants something other than this (i.e. Not have to explain to them how to use AutoFilter).

Regards,
    Gizzmo

I said

Quote from royUK;727322

Why use a macro when AutoFilter should take less time to explain than explaining how to enable macros?.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!