Using a cell value as File name reference

• I'm trying to use the value of a cell to determine which file to open within a folder.

So here's the list of files that i'm trying to reference:
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/w0w75qH.png]

Im trying to use the value of the top cell to Determine which file to pull the data from.
    When i try the following Formula:

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/eNl6hp5.png]
    It just keeps opening the dialog box for me to select where the file is again.

I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to do/explain

• Re: Using a cell value as File name reference

I'm afraid that what you are trying to be do can't be done in XL. The closest thing is the INDIRECT function, which lets you build a string that can reference a point in another sheet/book, but the other workbook needs to be open. If you need to change the cell and have the formula update, you would want to use an event macro that will actually write a new formula in the cell.

Best Regards,
    Luke M
    =======
    "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Agreed with luke..

was trying the same and came to the same conculsion as luke's

Quote from Luke M;738313

I'm afraid that what you are trying to be do can't be done in XL. The closest thing is the INDIRECT function, which lets you build a string that can reference a point in another sheet/book, but the other workbook needs to be open. If you need to change the cell and have the formula update, you would want to use an event macro that will actually write a new formula in the cell.

Quote from ashu1990;738315

Agreed with luke..

was trying the same and came to the same conculsion as luke's

I presume you both tried it and couldn't find a way, but thank you for trying :)
    I'll have to have a look to find a work around.

[CENTER]Shop4Yoo E-Trader
    Ebay - Amazon UK - Amazon US - Rakuten
    [/CENTER]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!