Passing variable from child sub to parent sub

• Would anyone know a way to pass a variable from a child sub back to its parent sub (i.e., from a sub that's been called in the main routine to that main routine? Something along the lines:

Code
    Sub Parent()

Dim i as Integer
       Child
       i = i + 1

End Sub

Code
    Sub Child()

i = 1

End Sub

And then when I continue in Parent sub after executing Child sub it would already know that i = 1 since that's what we've determined in Child sub. So, my answer in Parent sub would be 2 in the provided example.

Would appreciate your help!

• Re: Passing variable from child sub to parent sub

Make the Child Sub a Function returning a value...

What about

Triumph without peril brings no glory: Just try

cytop and PCI, that would be a good solution, but unfortunately Child needs to stay a Sub as it runs a lot of other stuff.

Here's why I'm doing it this way: Child sub opens an external workbook and imports some information. If that information has already been imported I want to exit Child and go back to Parent. Parent has a message box notifying the user whether the Parent macro has finished running successfully, and it evaluates a number of things in Parent to determine that. One of the factors that I would like to consider is whether Child sub was able to successfully import the information. I thought the easiest way to do this would be to pass a boolean variable from Child to Parent (True for successful import and False for unsuccessful).

Hope this clears things a bit.

Or perhaps

I see, so basically turning i into a Public variable? That might work. Thanks a lot, that's a good suggestion.

Not sure to get it right but why not to change the sub Child to a function returning True or False.
    What are the other information to exchange between Child and Parent.
    Whatever the Public declaration could be good.

To turn i to Public gives the possibility to use i where ever you want (in the module) not only in Parent or Child

PCI, I've mentioned in one of my posts that I'm importing data and doing other things in Child, so although I think it might be possible to do all that if I convert Child to formula passing the variable is not the main purpose of that routine. The variable is there just let the subs "talk" and exchange information about successful/unsuccessful macro run. But I think Public variable is a good solution here, I will go with that one.

Quote from Halvar;741541

unfortunately Child needs to stay a Sub as it runs a lot of other stuff.

That doesn't really make any sense - a Function can do anything a Subroutine can do (assuming you're not calling it from a cell, which you clearly aren't).

In any event you can just pass a variable from the calling routine to the child routine, have it changed and then the calling routine can use it as needed:

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

rory, as I've explained, the main purpose of my routine is not to pass the variable, that is just a "subproduct." After people have mentioned the idea I've realized this can be done, but I think it's confusing and not a good coding practice, at least not in my book. When I look at the code, I expect Functions to calculate variable's value and pass it back; when I think of Subs, I look for actions that Excel is asked to perform. Call it a personal preference, but since there's another easy solution I'd rather go with public variable.

I can't say I disagree particularly - although I don't see why you wouldn't make the part that sets the variable a separate function.

One of the other fundamentals of good programming is to restrict variable scope to the narrowest possible. In this case, simply passing a variable from the calling routine to the callee is preferable to using public variables, IMO.

Rory
    Theory is when you know something, but it doesn’t work. Practice is when something works, but you don’t know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they don’t know why

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!