Use formula to auto number adjacent column to data being used

• I am using a formula in column A to count the number of pump entries in column B starting at row 3. The number of entries in column B is unknown in length depending on the number of pumps in the hospital. I stopped the formula at row 11 (it might extend to row 100 for that day) because I need to modify the formula to take in account column C. If column C has a date (started scanning in new pump serial numbers that day) in it the cell counter in row A needs to start at 1 again and continue on until the next entered date in Column C. I would like to keep the function of column A showing no entry when column B has no entry although there should not be any blank cells in column B if every pump gets scanned into it. Notice the cell count in column A starts at 1 again because of date change. The last thing to think about would be a formula in the last cell row that would give a running total number of pumps in Column B. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Use formula to auto number adjacent column to data being used

Pike, thanks for the quick response and answer it works great for this project. I also added =SUBTOTAL(2,B3:B1500) to get the total number of cells used in the column. Is there a way to make the range dynamic in this formula?

B3:B1500 is a static range, can the formula automatically find the last entry in the column as new data is entered?

Tom thats it, sometimes simple eludes me thanks to you and Pike for your suggestions, learned a lot on this project

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!