Macro to save selection as .csv Run-time error '1004'

• Hello everyone,

Hope life's great wherever you are reading this from.

I am building a very simple macro to be able to export a selection in a sheet to a .csv file utf-8 encoded with ; and "" and field and text delimiters.

I have the below code so far which is a mash-up of several threads I read on the topic, the idea is that I need to be able to generate those .csv with the name of the sheet as name of the file.

I get an error message "Run-time error '1004' Cannot access '3. Output-OF0106_01_2016 01 45 PM.csv'."

I pasted the code below, I would really appreciate if you can help.

Thanks a million in advance.

Cheers.

luck_excel

• Re: Macro to save selection as .csv Run-time error '1004'

Hey cytop,

the file is created by the macro so that's why I posted the code here, I reckon that there is something in the code that makes it fail, which is the fact that it creates a new file but can't save it because it's existing already and is opened.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyone has an idea?

Cheers and thanks for your input though.

There is nothing in the code to make it fail unless the workbook or sheet name name contains illegal characters for a filename (but then you would not be able to have saved the workbook in the first place).

Your example name '3. Output-OF0106_01_2016 01 45 PM.csv' is a valid filename

but can't save it because it's existing already and is opened

Exactly what I said, so I don't understand the relevance and I'll assume the "Anyone has an idea" means you don't need any other suggestions from me.

Hey sorry I think we started off the wrong foot. I am very basic in my VBA knowledge and you said you hadn't run the code so I assumed you made a high level comment.

Anyway do you have any idea how to fix the name? It seems that even if I run it on a sheet that has a friendly name it still does not workout properly. I tried remove the .csv part and it still does not solve the deal.

Go ahead with any suggestion pal ;)

This is untested, but i think switching the separator from "/" to "" may solve your problem?

Code
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs MDir & "\" &

Let me know if it works
    Caleeco

Hey Calecco,

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried it already and tried again I'm running on Mac Office 2016 if that makes any difference. Like you I thought the path would be using the \ but it seems that regardless / or \ I get the same error message.

:)

Quote from luck_excel;771773

Hey Calecco,

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried it already and tried again I'm running on Mac Office 2016 if that makes any difference. Like you I thought the path would be using the \ but it seems that regardless / or \ I get the same error message.

:)

ahh.... with Mac Office... the filepath structure will be different because it is UNIX. From the limited experience I have with MAC.. i dont believe the / or \ is needed at all... so just remove it. Failing that, have a read of this guide, maybe it'll provide some clues!
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac010.htm

Caleeco

Cytop, probably you have a hint?

Office 360 licence, I usually don't use that much Office products on Mac but it's part of my new job which is a place full of developer but no one knows VBA here.

I changed the / to Application.PathSeparator and still have the same error.

Thanks Caleeco for your support :).

I'll look more in depth to your link.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!