Solver not doing what I want it to do

• bloody solver is just not doing what I want it to do - even the simplest task

okay : in cells A1:P16 (ie a 16x16 cell grid) I want integers between 1 and 16 inclusive

each row can only hold each number once

each column can only hold each number once

nothing I try, works. I'm using =MAX(FREQUENCY(A1:P1,A1:P1)) to make sure there's no repeats in each row, ditto with columns =MAX(FREQUENCY(A1:A16,A1:A16)) and am constraining each 32 formulae to equal 1. My target cell is set to a value of 1, it being the MAX value of all of the above FREQ formulae

I'm changing cells A1:P16, constraining them all to integers, >=1 and <=16

it don't work

if anyone can replicate such a "golden square" via solver, I'd appreciate it as I haven't a clue why mine's not working

(I don't want a manual answer, I can do this in about 2 minutes manually, nor do I want a VBA solution, I want to know why my solver isn't giving me what I want : I have also checked the helpfiles, poured through the SOLVSAMP.xls and have read the solver manufacturers' site)

any solver experts / users out there ?

ta
    Chris

:(

• attached is an example 8x8 grid

same theory, I just want each row to hold the numbers 1 to 8 with no repeats

and each column to hold the numbers 1 to 8 with no repeats

at the moment, solver can't find an answer based on my target cell, constraints and changeable cells (also I'm nto sure if my options are fully optimizing my need)

thanks
    Chris

• Tried my hard,

I thought taking the total of all the cells to 288 will help, but now it puts value 4.5 everywhere, violating the integer function.

I am also struggling with one quote which required a problem to be solved in integer mode :(

Originally posted by yjoshi
    I am also struggling with one quote which required a problem to be solved in integer mode :(

have you tried "assume linear model" in options ?

(hey we can have our own Forum : Solver Idiots :guitar: )

Originally posted by Chris Davison

have you tried "assume linear model" in options ?

(hey we can have our own Forum : Solver Idiots :guitar: )

Ya!! I tried everything, when it cannot solve, it conveniently breaks the rule of integer, and making all the formule or Match, countif, count etc. go hey-wy

Can i suggest a better name???

:smash:Idiot Solvers :smash:

• Hi Chris

It may be that solver is not able to set your task.
    That is there are too many cases (best solutions) all of them
    are random.
    I work with another solver which uses GA (genetic algorithm ) suitable
    for non linear problems
    I know that solver for Excel has an upgrade called Premium solver with GA
    and you can try to get it by Frontline site for free.
    Then put an eye to my sheet and look to constraints I inserted to force to get
    one near solution ( if I would run solver for more time It problably should have
    got nearer solution) .
    Regards
    Giorgio

ps. It is the first time that I post and upload a file so I hope well.
    Be patient please for my English and for the sheet with no style.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!