Auto refresh data from an open file

• Hi,

I have a spreadsheet data table that I need to display on a projector screen and the laptop that connects to the projector will not be readily accessible (I also have limited ability to change the projector hardware location or cabling). The data in the table is linked to data in a master excel file but is different in layout to the master file (basically a simple summary table).

I will be editing the master file and want the data table showing on the projector to regularly update to show the changes I will be making throughout the day on the master file.

I have tried to create a data connection but keep experiencing errors saying that 'another user' has the file open (the master file) when the data refreshes. I can work around the issue with some cumbersome macros that regularly auto save both the master file and the data table file on the projector laptop but was wondering if there was a simpler way to connect and auto refresh data from an open excel file.

The other option I considered was a macro to regularly update the external links but I don't know how to set it so that it a) doesn't close the sheet after updating and b) does it on a regular basis (e.g. every 2 minutes).

Cheers,

Tarrant

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!