Filling a column with text values extracted from another sheet

• Hi to all!

I have attached the spreadsheet I'm having problem with. forum.ozgrid.com/index.php?attachment/71963/

The Database sheet will contain around 7000 rows of data which will be extracted from 70 other workbooks.

What I wish to do is: fill the Name column of the different classes 'sheets from the data in the Database sheet automatically. The criteria for matching the names is with their forms (cell H3). I've tried to use Index with Match but in vain.

Also, the Average formula is not displaying a value. Note that not all subject columns will be filled in at any time.

Any help will be most appreciated.

• Re: Filling a column with text values extracted from another sheet

Hi,

With the size and numbers you are announcing for the entire project... my recommendation would be macros ...instead of array formulas ...

By the way, your formulas do not seem to take into the very first differentiator ... i.e. the Form in cell H3 ... and in the first column of the Database ...

In addition, for the sake of consistency all subjects, for example, should be identified the same way ... you cannot have "Computer" in the whole database and "Computer Studies" in the detailed worksheets ...

My recommendation would be to consider your Database as the Source ... and from there ..."Explode data" into your detailed worksheets ...

Hope this will help

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Thumbs Up" icon, below, in the bottom right corner:)

• Re: Filling a column with text values extracted from another sheet

Thanks for your reply Carim.

I'm not really good at VBA.

There'll be consistency for the Subjects. I just typed that in a hurry. However, like I said the data in the Database sheet will be extracted from other workbooks so the subject names will be ok.

How to explode data to the other worksheets?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!