Count criteria in one cell

• I have specific conditions.
    How to count a specific criterion in a cell is an example attached.
    I entered the expected results.
    I have tried the formula, but it is not the correct result for all conditions

=IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(B$1;1)*1);(LEN($A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A2;B$1;"")))/LEN(B$1);SUM(LEN(" "&SUBSTITUTE($A2;" ";" ")&" ")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(" "&SUBSTITUTE($A2;" ";" ")&" ";" "&B$1&" ";"")))/LEN(" "&B$1&" "))

• Re: Count criteria in one cell

Is a UDF solution acceptable?

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

If UDF acceptable the try the attached.

The Function in a standard module is

Code
    Function CriterionCount(r As Range, r2 As Range) As Integer
        Dim x, i As Integer

x = Split(Replace(Replace(r, "+", " "), "-", " "))
        For i = 0 To UBound(x)
            If CStr(x(i)) = CStr(r2) Then CriterionCount = CriterionCount + 1
        Next

End Function

and the formula in B2, dragged across and down, is

=CriterionCount($A2,B$1)

You're welcome, I did try to develop a standard formula but could not get one that worked for all scenarios.

We now have a reputation system in place. If my reply helped please "Like" the reply by clicking the "Like" icon at bottom right of my reply.

Quote from KjBox;795125

I did try to develop a standard formula but could not get one that worked for all scenarios.

It does not matter.
    In any case, thank you for your answer and VBA.
    It's just a confirmation that the big problem is to create a formula for all scenarios. (If you could not then I certainly can not)

Hi KjBox
    I've found a way to solve the problem in any anticipated scenarios.
    The formula is next:

=(LEN("#"&SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(" "&"#"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A2;" ";"##");"+";"##");"-";"##");"(";"##");")";"##")&"#");" ";"##")&"#")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE("#"&SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(" "&"#"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A2;" ";"##");"+";"##");"-";"##");"(";"##");")";"##")&"#");" ";"##")&"#";"#"&B$1&"#";"")))/LEN("#"&B$1&"#")

btw: I use a semicolon as a separator instead of a comma

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!