Custom Function Not Working

• Re: Custom Function Not Working

Jonathan

I took a look at your code and I think you might want to replace your subs with functions that return a value.

Or change how you are declaring your variables.

I put this code into my VB editor and made it run via a command button--it works perfectly! So... in Excel I need to make all of these functions?? How would I call these "functions" in the code? I thought you had to define variable inputs with a function.

I'm thinking of trying to ditch the subs and put all of the code in the single function. However, I'd still like to know if I can call subs from a function in excel. Thanks!

Jonathan

As far as I know you should be able to call subs from a function, it just depends on what you are doing with the sub.

If you are trying to do some sort of calculation then I think functions are the way to go.

In my previous post what I was thinking about was the scope of the variables you dimmed.

When I stepped through your code in the function Depth the variable Channel_Bottom had the value 2 at first but when it went to the Hydraulic_Radius sub it was 0.

Hmmm... I wonder why they aren't working? I put the code into a standard VB module and it works perfectly. I then tried changing the variables to "Public" just in case, and nothing happened. Is there something odd/specific to Excel? Is it because I'm using the module for the function, but the sheet is separate?

It's not working because you are passing arguments to functions that are beyond it's calling scope (Not initailized so = 0)

eg

Channel_Bottom * Flow_Depth > channel_Bottom =0 as does all your other variables ... > Division by Zeroe errors

why not just (

Yup--that is exactly what I did (putting all of the code into the function). It works fine, but I'm still curious how I can use a function to call subs and carry the value of the variables. The reason I like doing this is to keep my code uncluttered. I generally like to have the "meat" of my code be a simple subroutine that calls other subs--that way I can see what order things should be happeening. And... if you saw my final code with all of the tables, constants, etc., you'd see why I like a sub that just calls other subs--it's a mess!

Anyway, like I said, I put that sub into my VB editor and it worked *perfectly* as a *sub*--not a function. What is diff about a function, and how can I make it carry the constant values it grabs from my sheet to other subs?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!