• Can someone please help. I have a spread sheet all made up and I need it to sort by date. My problem is that when I choose the column (date) that I want to use it won't keep my format or sort the whole sheet it only does the column.

• Re: Format

Hmmm, not sure what is going on here. Would be a big help if you post a small example of your worksheet.

Does worksheet have headers?

With blank rows, it will be difficult. You might want to rethink the layout of the spreadsheet.

Software: OpenOffice 3.0/NeoOffice 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Humanware: Older than dirt

Old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008)

Thanks very much. I kinda thought that might be the problem. So in that format you made if I had a bunch of the same company mixed with other companies as well, is there any way to have a print of only 1 company?

When you filter for the one company, you should be able to print just that data.

Software: OpenOffice 3.0/NeoOffice 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Humanware: Older than dirt

Old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008)

Tzmax,

I added auto-filters to the file Shades re-arranged for you. As you can see manipulating data in XL is much easier when layed-out in this manner. With headers in bold text or some distinguishing format, XL recognizes them and will sort accordingly without the maddening scramble issue.

To add/turn-on filters, select your header row and click Data on the menu bar, then click AutoFilter. You can also remove them in a similar manner. Then simply click on the AF button in the column that has the data (i.e. date, company) that you want to sort by :) . This can then be printed or copied into an e-mail as you wish.

A few points:
    1) When doing regular sorting you can misalign your data if you neglect to select the entire range. If you do not realize this and hit the save button, it cannot be undone except by you manually :? .
    2) When using AF, if you filter the worksheet data to a selection, say by Company B, and then attach the file to an e-mail, be aware that you will be sending the entire file with all of your data. if the recipient takes off the filter selection, they will see all data on the worksheet. Copy and pasting the filtered data only into an e-mail sends only the selected data.

HTH,
    DEF98

Thanks very much,the help is appreciated. Could you please look at something else. On this other spreadsheet I want to enter a run date then a pull date and have the total days keep accumulating in that row. What this is the gauges and batteries are run on tests and I need to keep track of how many days the batteries are used because they have tobe replaced after about 90 days. I probably dont need the days used column just total days as long as it keeps a running total. So if you input to row 7 no other rows can change.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!