Mail Merge Formatting

• I have Mail Merged data from an Excel worksheet into a Word document very successfully. (This is in Windows XP)

But I am losing the formatting on cells that are formatted as currency in Excel, i.e. £9.60 is appearing as 9.6

The pound sign I can put in as part of the word document in front of the merged cell, but how do I get the trailing zero to appear?

• Re: Mail Merge Formatting

How?

In Excel they are already formatted as currency to two decimal places.

How do you format a mail merged cell to two decimal places and get it to show as pounds sterling?

Did you check the Help in Word?

It has details on how to format mail merge fields as required.

To control other aspects of formatting, press ALT+F9 to display field codes, and then add switches to the merge fields. For example, to display the number "34987.89" as "$34,987.89," add the Numeric Picture switch (\#). To print client names in uppercase letters, add the Format switch (\*). To ensure that the merged information has the same font and point size you apply to the merge field, you can add the \* Charformat switch.

Boo!:yikes:

Thanks Norie,

I messed around with this for hours at home last night and just ended up more confused than when I started.

I can Mail Merge in Windows 2000 no problem but XP seems to manipulate the data and change it's format for some reason.

I'll see if I can work out what to do using the switches.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell me how to do this.

I have a column of data in Excel called Joined with dates in dd/mm/yyyy format.

I have merged this into a Word Document but the format has changed along the way, so that 15/12/2004 now appears as 12/15/2004 (US Date Format)
    and dates like 01/01/2005 now appear as 1/1/2005.

This is the only thing I can find on the Microsoft site but it seems specific to a date i.e. the same date on every merged page.

{ MERGEFIELD "Date" \@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }

At the moment the merged field looks like this.

{ MERGEFIELD "Joined"}

Can anyone tell me how what switches to put where to change the format?

I just can't seem to get my head around this one.

No but I tried this which just returned todays date -

{ MERGEFIELD "Joined" \@ "dd,mm,yyyy" }

In Excel there is a column of dates ranging fom 01/01/1989 to the current day.

They are formatted dd/mm/yyyy.

Can you merge a single date from excel into a word file and send them as attachments.

Perhaps I can have a look this evening and work out from an example where I'm going wrong.

The only thing I have noticed is that if you click on the edit recipient list option the dates have already changed format.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!