Auto Placement of Images on a Chart

• I am creating a spreadsheet that updates a bar chart once a week. I have one image that I would like to place at the end of each bar automatically after the chart has updated. Is this possible?

Thanks for any ideas!

Chris

• Re: Auto Placement of Images on a Chart

Howdy.

Yes, but need more information about how placement is determined.

Software: OpenOffice 3.0/NeoOffice 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Humanware: Older than dirt

Old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008)

The bar chart updates based on data added weekly. The image needs to be added the end of the bar (or just to the right of the end) on the graph. So if one week the bar reaches the value of 50, the image would be just to the right of the bar. If the bar adjusts to the value of 20 next week, the image needs to move to follow the new position of the bar.

I have an excel addin that can do this to some degree, but it is not an ideal solution.

I have attached a file with a screenshot of the type of chart I am attempting to create. The horse image needs to move to follow the adjustment of the bars. Ideally I would like to be able to add a text box on the bar (also shown in the example), but that is not a requirement.

Thanks again for suggestions.

Chris

HI Chris,

Interesting idea, but I have not found a way to get a picture to connect to the end of a bar on a bar chart yet. I will keep looking and if I find something I will post back.

Excelpower

Hi,

There are a few alternatives, which I have included in the attached workbook.
    If you use a 3d chart then you can use a fill effect on data labels of a dummy data series.
    If you use a 2d chart as well as the above you can use the fill effect of the dummy data series. An added bonus is that you can also reproduce the textboxes by using data labels without having to add extra shapes to the chart.

If you need further explanation post back.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!