automate daily tasks

• Re: automate daily tasks

Nice work. Everything is perfectly done and ready to go. The files are up on out network ready to be used. Thank you very much for your great efforts.

Are you still thinking about creating the stock market scan sheet? I could start thinking of some of the things that woudl be useful to us, and I would really want to get more involved in creatign the sheets, even though it might slow the process down.

I will now look more into the code of the reconciliation macro, I really want to understadn what you did there in detail.

Thank you again.

I don't have access to my saved emails her at work, you recommended John Walkenbach's book, right?
    I want to order "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" and start learning it in mroe detail. Any recommendations? comments?

Quote from sevan17

Are you still thinking about creating the stock market scan sheet? I could start thinking of some of the things that woudl be useful to us, and I would really want to get more involved in creatign the sheets, even though it might slow the process down.

Yes it's something that I'd like to do. Getting and storing the historical data ( close, open, volume . . . ) is pretty straight forward. I'm just sure what to graph when analyzing a stock ( P/E, Mving AVg [500,200,50??] ) the site you recommended on the other post well let's just say that it would take me more than just a couple of minutes to understand.

As far as the "DIM" statement. Dim is the keyword that tells the compiler to set aside a specific amount of memory for data storage. If you don't declare your variables then the compiler automatically sets aside enough memory for a variant data type.

The various intrinisic datatypes ( datatypes which are native to VBA ) are:
    Byte.........1 byte ( + numbers from 1 - 255 )
    Boolean.....2 bytes
    Integer......2 bytes ( numbers from -32768 - 32767 )
    Long
    Currency
    Single
    Double
    Decimal
    Date
    String
    String *
    Object
    Variant...If numeric 16 bytes / if string data 22 bytes

So you can see that if you have a large program that you need to declare variables so that you conserve memory. ( See the help for VBA search "Dim" )

Another benefit to declaring your variables is that if you're using an object type of say Range when you put the "." a dropdown list of properties and methods displays.

Quote from sevan17

I don't have access to my saved emails her at work, you recommended John Walkenbach's book, right?
    I want to order "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" and start learning it in mroe detail. Any recommendations? comments?

He's a good writer. You'll find it a useful tool. Dave Hawley has also authored a good book ( so I hear ) look at the top of this page for a link called Excel Hacks.

Well I think before you look into creating any type of indicator you should start a macro that will just draw a chart of a stock. As you know, there are different types of charts nowdays. The most common charts are candel stick charts and bar charts. No matter what type of chart you have you will need the high, the low, the open and the close. All the indicators and charts are based off those, and volume. I would say the best way to start is to creat candle stick charts, once you understand that you will understand all the other charts. For a very brief but clear explanation look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Candlestick_OHLC.GIF

Excell actually has a chart type that draws candel stick charts. Once it is possible to draw a chart, it would be wise to look into moving averages, which you may want to make adjustable, and then indicators. Let me know if you need any type of information and I would be really interested in looking into your work as its in progress.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!