Formula Breakdown for Understanding

• Hey guys!

I am using a formula that looks at a range of cells and counts the number of cells with the date greater than todays date. Now I used the SUMPRODUCT formula that has been posted many times, but I like to have an understanding of exactly what the formula is doing. When I see SUMPRODUCT, I am thinking that something is being added, but I just can't get it to click in my mind. Can someone who has a few moments, just explain what each part of the formula is doing please, or just a summary of how SUMPRODUCT works?

I modified it slightly for my use, but the gist of it is the same.

Code
    =SUMPRODUCT(($I$50:$I$58>TODAY())*($I$50:$I$58="")+($I$50:$I$58>=TODAY()))&" Active"

Thanks a bunch!

• Re: Formula Breakdown for Understanding

I hear you. I struggle with this one as well but like a car, I'm just thankful it runs without me know how the engine works. :?

Don't know if this link will help: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/sum-if.htm

Barbara - aka The Cat Lady :cat:

Please do not U2U (private message) me directly for questions that should be posted to the forum; any such U2Us, unless requested by me, will be deleted.

Thanks for the Link, it did shed some light on it, but on another point it raised another question. My Current formula:

Code
    =SUMPRODUCT(($I$50:$I$58>=TODAY())*($I$50:$I$58="")+($I$50:$I$58>=TODAY()))&" Active"

Now basically all the first two parts are doing is coming up with a 0 value then adding the initial value. Why do it this long way instead of just doing

Code
    =SUMPRODUCT((0)+(I50:I58>=TODAY()))&" Active"

After testing it, it works perfectly, so why the long way, am I missing something? This is what is confusing me.

Thanks again!

Hmmmmmm ... the first part of your SUMPRODUCT does look like it will always produce zero. So your revision is probably ok. But I wonder what the first part was intended to do. Is the formula producing the result that should be produced in all cases?

For some more info on SUMPRODUCT, have a look at the SUMPRODUCT sample file at:
    http://members.cox.net/rtcsolu…SUMPRODUCT%20Examples.xls

Thomach, Awsome Link
    Using that link I was able to modify my Code to

Code
    =SUMPRODUCT(($I$50:$I$58>=TODAY())*1)&" Active"

So I think I am starting to understand it now. The SumProduct can be used to count Arrays, and in my formula the "*1" part must be the way it turns it into a number value, so this formula works as well, and is much simpler than the original.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!