Transferring data between controls

• I'm sure the answer to this is staggeringly simple but I'm stumped. I have a userform and I want to assign the value of a combobox to a textbox when a command button is pressed. However, nothing shows up in the textbox. If I 'transfer' the combobox value to the textbox and then to a worksheet (as below), it shows up in the sheet but the textbox is blank. What simple thing am I missing?

txtBox.Value = cboMet.Value
    ActiveCell.Offset(11, 0) = txtBox.Value

• Re: Transferring data between controls

This works for me,

Are you sure that your controls are correctly named/referred to ?

Thanks Will. I copied your example and it works for me too. Could the problem be related to the fact that I am using a multipage? Everything is on the same page, and I have tried using the full reference (multipage1.pages(0).textbox.value etc) but to no avail.

Will, it gets curiouser and curiouser. I cut the file right down so that I could upload it here, and when I tested it it worked! So, the problem must lie in the bits I removed but the full file is 180Kb so I don't think I can upload it.

Quote from StephenR

So, the problem must lie in the bits I removed

Did you remove any code ?

Quote from StephenR

but the full file is 180Kb so I don't think I can upload it.

Try zipping it ?

This is somewhat embarrassing as I've just noticed an 'Unload Me' which I thought I'd commented out. Sorry for wasting your time! However, this does lead me to another problem. Is there a way to unload one page of a multipage form.

The Unload statement generally is limited to the Form Object.

A multipage control is by nature an embedded control on your form. So as such it cannot ever be unloaded (only by unloading the parent i.e. the form)

A bit of an explanation about your project might help us to help you here.

OK. The user completes the form and can add any number of records, which are stored on the pressing of a command button (which also unloads the form so they can enter a new record). I want them to be able to look back on records they've previously entered and, if necessary, amend or delete them. I thought of putting the user-input bit on one page of a multipage and the stored values (in textboxes) on the second page. Given your explanation, perhaps it would be simpler to place the stored values in a separate form. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When you say

Quote from StephenR

OK. records, which are stored on the pressing of a command button (which also unloads the form so they can enter a new record).

Do you mean that the records are stored in the worksheet ?

If so, there are better ways to edit existing records. I'd recommend using a dedicated userform if the excel data from can not be used.

Do you mean that the records are stored in the worksheet ?

Well, they are stored in the worksheet (for my purposes), but I also wanted to store them in a form for the user to edit. From what you say it makes sense to have a separate userform rather than different pages of a multipage.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!