cell reference formula

• I am trying to use a formula that subtracts one column from another and divides by the first. I have that working fine even if one of them is empty. What I want to do is set up a group of reference cells so that as the month changes (and therefore the column) I can type in one cell, which column to use and all my formulas update automatically. I tried using match and it gives me an offset, but I can't figure out how to use that to update a cell reference. Can you help? Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

• Re: cell reference formula

Hi

Probably need more data on your setup, but assuming that you have data in A2, A3, A4... and the formula you are using is

Code
    =(a2-b2)/a2

then if you put a number in A1 you could do something like

Code
    =(A2-OFFSET(A2,0,A1))/A2

This always assume you are subtracting from column A and dividing by column A. If you want to change both the nominator and divisor then can you give more details of your setup? Perhaps a sample file?

• Re: cell reference formula

Quote from zylstra

Wigi:

Thank you. I needed to use offset multiple times but you gave me enough to get it to work. Thank you again.

Zylstra

Credits go to Acw : D

Regards,

Wigi

Excel MVP 2011-2014

For more Excel memes: visit http://www.wimgielis.com ==> English articles ==> Excel memes

-- Topics without [CODE] tags or a meaningful topic title, will be neglected by me (and probably many others as well) --

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!