VBA code for text to column in 2002

• I have a report with details for a large number of countries. Each month, I need to copy the country details and move them to a sheet specific to that country,
    e.g. UK details to a UK folder, Germany details to a DE folder. The level of details available is different for each country. So there may be 10 lines for the UK but only 5 for Germany. However, the country details always start with (e.g.) 'COUNTRY: UK' and end with 'TOTAL FOR: UK.'

Any suggestions on how the macro could look?

I also published the question on:
    http://groups.google.com/group/excel-vba?lnk=rgh&hl=en

and:
    http://groups.google.com/group/Microsoft-Excel?start=0&hl=en

But so far no one's responded...

• Re: Move macro

It depends how your data is laid out. Is it in a proper database format, ie the country references in one column? If it is then Advanced Filter should do it.

Are you trying to import from .txt? Also, is that your email address you are using as your Member name? If it is then it's not a good idea unless you want lots of spam etc

Quote from [email protected]

... the country details always start with (e.g.) 'COUNTRY: UK' and end with 'TOTAL FOR: UK.'

Any suggestions on how the macro could look? ...

I used variations of the following for five years to import data from *.txt into *.xls reports
    Perhaps not the purest method but quick & dirty works just as well.

Hi Roy
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the file is a .txt file. I've created the macro that imports the file automatically but it's the move of the details I can't figure out.

Another thing I can't figure out: How do I change my user name? I've tried to look for the right place to do it. Thanks for the tip, btw.

Quote from Gday Bruce

I used variations of the following for five years to import data from *.txt into *.xls reports
    Perhaps not the purest method but quick & dirty works just as well...

Thanks for your tip, Bruce. I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it goes!

Here is another code for importing from a text file.

Hi max_lux
    I've got the file import figured out, so it's about getting the macro to scan the .txt file after import and move the country sections to the matching sheets. I got a tip from Gday Bruce the other day, but if you have another suggestion, I'm all ears ;) I've also attached an example of what the .txt file looks like

Quote from Gday Bruce

I used variations of the following for five years to import data from *.txt into *.xls reports...

Hello Bruce. I had a go at your suggestion and changed minor things. But when I run the code, I first get a "Compile error: Variable not defined" at the "CountryFile = Mid..." line.

If I omit that line and run the code again, I get a "Compile error: Syntax error" at the "Do While Left..." line.

Can you tell me what I need to do to correct it?

Hi Norie
    I attached an example txt file a couple of weeks ago, which you can find in this thread.

Basically, I want my macro to look for (e.g) "COUNTRY: UK" and copy all lines down to "TOTAL FOR COUNTRY: UK", then paste that range to a folder called UK. I then want the macro to loop onto the next country and repeat the step above.

Is there a way to have the macro perform lookup in a sheet with all the countries, so I don't have to include them all in the actual macro?

I've got the report import macro in place, so that part is not a problem.

Abi

I looked at the text file and just couldn't figure out the data structure.

Oh and by that don't mean where the data for each country starts and finishs, I mean the actual numeric data.

Can you either attach a sample workbook or post the code that imports the data into Excel in the required format?

Boo!:yikes:

Quote from Abi

I first get a "Compile error: Variable not defined" at the "CountryFile = Mid..." line.

If I omit that line and run the code again, I get a "Compile error: Syntax error" at the "Do While Left..." line.

Can you tell me what I need to do to correct it?

Abi, see suggestions in code below;

1. You didn't appear to be reading the first line of data from #2 before cycling through your code. (matchline was not set before you reached the first IF)
    2. matchline is the string from #2, you were replacing it with what is now the linecounter variable
    3. LEFT(string,#characters), in your LEFT(matchline,1) statement you're asking if "C"="COUNTRY"
    4. A "Do" goes with a "Loop", "Then" belongs to "If"

Hope this helps.:ole:

Abi, just had another look at this.

The original code was developed to extract from a .txt file and used the command "Line Input" to obtain the next line from a .txt document (#2).

To load the data from another worksheet (616) you'll need to substitute something like this;

If this isn't what you're trying to do, please post a small data sample to help out diagnostics.

Cheers

Hi Norie and Bruce
    I attached an example of the workbook I read the txt file into. It also includes examples of the sheets I want to copy data to. I also attached the report import macro below, since I don't know how paranoid people are about opening a workbook from a 'stranger' with macros : D . I'm always a little cautious myself...

Hi Norie
    I'm attaching a more 'real life' version of the txt file, ie the one I used in the workbook. The file is based on a data download from DB2. I know it's not 'pretty' but unfortunately I can't get it to look any other way. It does include all the data I want the macro to look for, though. For example in line 7and 17 in the workbook. Hope one of you can help me proceed... :thanx:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!