Update link without open resource file

• Hi all
    I'm back here to ask for your help again.
    I'm using Excel 2002.
    I have one workbook with data linked to another CSV file (It's about 40000rows). When I open the workbook, "THis workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated." message appears and asks me to open csv file if I wanna to update (although I set full path for links in cells). I wonder if there's any way to update link without opening csv file? Or Excel can not update link without openning the resource file???
    Thanx in advance.

[COLOR="Blue"]BE HAPPY - BE INSPIRED - BE YOURSELF[/COLOR]

• Re: Update link without open resource file

linkin_anytime,

What you're running into is an issue with linking that I haven't found much information on. But essentially, you have exceeded the amount of information that excel can link to.

I have a workbook that if I keep it under 2300 rows ( there are approximately 55 columns for each row ) I can link to it. Once it exceeds the 2300 rows I have it won't link unless I open the workbook let the links establish and then close.

Hi iwrk4dedpr
    Thanx for your reply.
    I thought so, too. In case the links are over certain row limit, I think Excel cannot automatically link to the resource file and update without opening it.
    OK, I will open CSV file first and workbook later.
    Thanx iwrk4dedpr.

[COLOR="Blue"]BE HAPPY - BE INSPIRED - BE YOURSELF[/COLOR]

Not sure if this is feasible, but instead of linking, I have imported worksheets from other excel books to ensure consistent data across several workbooks as I always have trouble linking excel files. (I tend to map drives and this causes problems if other users open the workboosk)

Data -> Import External Data -> Import Data

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!