Converting Minutes into Hours and Minutes using a Formula

• Can anybody please assist me with creating a formula for converting time data that has been created in an excel spreadsheet in minutes i.e. 516 minutes which I need to turn into Hours and Minutes i.e. 08:36
    I am not experienced using Formulas, apologies if this question has been posted before, I did use the search facility to look for threads, but could not find anything related

Many Thanks

Gingie Cat

• Re: Converting Minutes into Hours and Minutes using a Formula

For total minutes less than 1440 you can use excel's built in TIME function.

=TIME(0,minutes,0) will convert your minutes into a decimal time serial number. You can either format this to show the hours and minutes, or reference the cell with =hour(cell) and =minute(cell)

If the total minutes is more than 1440, you need to work out the number of days. You can use the MOD function like so: =MOD(minutes,1440).

This gives you the number of days, so if you need the answer in hours you will need to multiply by 24.

--
    I'm not getting you down am I?

Hi Gingie Cat,

Welcome to the OzGrid forum.

If you don't mind your answer being in text format, you can use the following:

=TEXT(FLOOR(A1/60,1),"00")&":"&TEXT(MOD(A1,60),"00")

Hope this helps.

[COLOR="Purple"]Regards,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Purple"]Batman.[/COLOR]

Thank you all for such a quick response. The answers you have given have resolved this for me
    Great Forum !!!

Gingie Cat

Hey, i had the same situation with vb.net. You can paste below code in your module and use it as and when you want

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!