Formula Appears in Cell Instead of Formula Result

• I have a workbook where the actual formula (in this case it is a link to another worksheet, ='TY Marketing'!C38) but instead of the result, when you hit enter, the formula is what appears in the cell.

Calc is on, I've pressed F9, I've removed it from shared status on the network. Help!

• Re: Formula appears in cell instead of formula result

try pressing Ctrl and ~

Cheers

can you post a small sample?

Cheers

have you checked Tools . Options > View Formulas. If it's checked then tht is what you will see.

hi Roy,

i just found out that pressing Ctrl ~ actually toggles the Options > View Formulas checkbox.

so i think that doesn't work either :)

Cheers

hi lostyankee,

another possibility is that there's an '
    in front of the =

eg. '=B1

that shows the formula only

Cheers

Don't use the Text format unless absolutey needed (very rare). Even formulae that reference cells formatted as text end up with Text format. So reformat ALL text cells, then use Edit>Replace to replace = with =

I had this problem a few times, possibly because I used text format for the cell containing a formula giving a string result, which seemed reasonable to me at the time (instead of "general").
    However even after changing the cell format to general, Excel seemed sometimes to get stuck with showing the formula instead of the result.
    I fixed this by forcing Excel to parse the formula, correct it and reset itself, by making an intentional silly mistake in the formula (in my case by removing a necessary close bracket). I then got the dialog asking whether I would like Excel to correct my erroneous formula, for which I was obliged.

I just had this issue today and I found a few workarounds. As an example, my formula in Cell B1 was "=A1" and it would just display the formula. These two things worked for me:
    1. Copying and pasting a working cell into Cell B1 and then retyping the formula. For instance, I cut and paste Cell C1 into Cell B1 and then retyped in "=A1"
    2. Putting the cursor right before the "equal" sign and clicking the backspace button. I didn't have any characters there (like a space in front of the =), but it fixed the problem. Really weird. I'm not sure if this deleted some hidden character or reset the cell, but it worked.

Quote from Dave Hawley;293625

Don't use the Text format unless absolutey needed (very rare). Even formulae that reference cells formatted as text end up with Text format. So reformat ALL text cells, then use Edit>Replace to replace = with =

Worked for me..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!