Find/Locate Files/Workbooks Containing Macros

• Re: Finding Files Containing Macros

Hi Stephen,

You could start with something simple like this:

This only looks for standard modules. You may wish to look into counting procedure lines in the objects like ThisWorkbook too.

EDIT : Sorry X, didn't notice your post (and can't check files from work anyway!)

Thank you gentlemen. I'm having problems with both so further help would be very welcome.

xlite -
    Your script tells me there are no matching files when I know at least one file in the folder has a macro (without a password).

Richie -
    I'm getting a compile error

User-defined type not defined

on the line

Code
    Dim vbc As VBComponent

Any thoughts?

Quote from StephenR

xlite -
    Your script tells me there are no matching files when I know at least one file in the folder has a macro (without a password).

hi Stephen,

i forgot to mention that you need to "close" the path with "\"
    in sheet 2 cell A1:
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Excel\
    notice the "\" after "My Excel" folder

hth

Cheers

Thanks again guys. You'll start to wish you'd never seen this thread but I'm still having problems with both.

xlite - it now lists every file in the folder, most of which do not contain any modules.

Richie - I'm getting a run-time error

Method 'VBProject of Object_Workbook failed

on this line

Code
    For Each vbc In wbk.VBProject.VBComponents

I presume I added the correct reference - VB for Applications Extensibility 5.3?

Thanks again for your efforts so far.

EDIT - xlite, I may have misunderstood yours. Having looked again does it list every filename and then alongside any module names? If so, it's still not quite right as it doesn't do the latter.

StephenR,

Please check to see if you are set up to access the VBProject area. In Excel, click on Tools, then Macro, then Security, and then the Trusted Publishers (or Sources) tab and check the "Trust access to Visual Basic Project" box. That should let you get the second list using xlite's code.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!