Stop "file In Use" Dialog Box Except For Owner Of File.

• My Goal: To have other users open a workbook on the network without having to click button to open it as read only.

I have been trying to get rid of the "File In Use" message for the other users since they only need a read only copy. I am the only one who needs to know if it is in use because I will make changes to the workbook tools and have to save them.

I have set the Save As preferences so that it requires a password for modification and checked the read only checkbox. But that dialog box is popping up for the users. I am trying to eliminate any file in use dialog box for users other than myself.

Here is my workbook open procedure...

• Re: Stop "file In Use" Dialog Box Except For Owner Of File.

I did not look at your code (yet) but the way I use is to setup the sharing on the file on the server or networked PC to allow all users to have read only access but myself to have read/write. It depends on the version of Windows but if you go into the directory or file and set up the shareing to Read Only for "Everybody" and read / write for the relevant users then the read only users should open in read only mode without any messages.

Post back if that is not what you are looking for.

Carl

Quote from jefsboys

My Goal: To have other users open a workbook on the network without having to click button to open it as read only.

Go to the directory where the file is stored. RIGHT-click on the file. Select Properties - Attributes - and then select Read Only. It should then open as Read-Only for everyone. You'll need to de-select that option when altering the file.

carlmack and MrkFrrl,

I thank you both very much for taking the time to respond to such a simple question. I had in mind such awesome work to accomplish this and overlooked the basics.

Sorry it took me so long to get back. It is good to be this busy at work. :)

Thank you,

Jeff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!