Detect If Cell Is In 'editing' Mode

• Hi,
    I'm doing the vba programming for excel where I added a button to the excel, and when user click on the button, it will trigger my function.

My question is: if currently there is a cell been focused, how can I know whether that is in the 'editing mode' (ie, focus on that cell and double click on that) or merely 'focus' on that cell? Any of the excel object property for this?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Detect If Cell Is In 'editing' Mode

Yes, as the 'behaviour' is different when we program for it. 'Editing' mode can cause error if we do not handle properly.

A further question might be: if we have detected it is in 'editing' mode, how can set it back to 'focus' mode through the vba macro?

Thanks

Quote from mkgan

Hi,
    I'm doing the vba programming for excel where I added a button to the excel, and when user click on the button, it will trigger my function.

My question is: if currently there is a cell been focused, how can I know whether that is in the 'editing mode' (ie, focus on that cell and double click on that) or merely 'focus' on that cell? Any of the excel object property for this?

Thanks in advance.

Pushing the Button will give NO effect if one of cells is in 'editing mode'.

What do you want to do ith the cell, generally you don't need to select or activatea cell to work with it in VBA. To be honest I'm not even sure what you mean by "editing mode", do you mean Locked?

Quote from mkgan

Hi,
    pushing the button will give no different. but there are difference when you calling/changing the excel application's properties, etc.

So any clue please!

I'll try to explain - when macros is running, there are no cells in 'editing mode'. - There's nothing to detect.
    Can you give an example?

Quote from mkgan

Example:

I call the following function. and this cause an error when the cell is in 'editing' mode:

appExcel.DisplayAlerts = False

And what must happen if error occurs? Can you use

Code
    On Error Goto errHndl
    'some code
    errHndl:
    'code if error

or

Code
    On Error Resume Next
    appExcel.DisplayAlerts = False
    If Err then
    'code if error
    End if

And most interesting question: How you execute macros, when cell is in 'editing mode'. Where this macros is? Is it in another Workbook?

I suggest that you read the Forum Rules that you agreed to. You neglected to use Code tags despite being reminded on the page from which you asked this question.

I have added them this time, but future posts may well be deleted for non-compliance with the Rules

Sorry for the mistake (code tags) I made.

Using error handling doesn't really helps for me. I need to know exactly if it is in the 'editing' mode. I am not sure 'editing' mode is the right term as I cannot find any relevant properties/routines of the excel application or cell objects. I feel 'editing' mode is make sense as it is when we double click on the cell and going to edit the cell.

The event below is triggered when I click on the button.

Code
    Private Sub MyButton_Click(ByVal Ctrl As Office.CommandBarButton, CancelDefault As Boolean)

It would save a lot of time if you explained xactly what you are doing, probably post your code.You are definitely using VBA & not VB aren't you.

You don't double click a cell to edit it.
    you have only shown us that you are using a Commandbutton, no actual code.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!