Launching Another File Format From Vba

• Hi,

My company uses database software called Business Objects. At the moment few people are using the program and its reports as they can't find the key ones or workout how to run them correctly.

As everyone is comfortable with excel. I am creating a series of forms to guide my users to the key reports. I like this method because it is very user friendly and I can add lots of descriptions and help information.

Unfortunately my programming knowledge is limited to excel so I can't write a standalone program as you might suggest I do.

The problem:

I want to launch the non-excel files using VBA. For example, a user will click on a "Customer" button to see a second form containing a list of customer reports. The user will then click on the button containing the name of the report they want to launch. I want the file to open.

I tried using hyperlinks in an excel spreadsheet which works fine for opening the non-excel files, but it isn’t nearly as user-friendly or interactive.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Phil.

• Re: Launching Another File Format From Vba

You would need more information on the program to call reports etc.

You could possibly import data into Excel to work with it.

Why doesn't the company get some training?

Quote from royUK

You would need more information on the program to call reports etc.

You could possibly import data into Excel to work with it.

Why doesn't the company get some training?

People have been trained to use the reporting tool and are using some of the reports. The problem is that 80% of the users prefer me to do all the work and give them the final data in their prefered excel format. I can't do this and am spending almost all of my time distributing data when people should be doing it themselves. I have resolved myself to producing something that will give the user no excuse.

I want something fast, simple etc.

There MUST be a way of launching an external file in another application. After all it can be done with hyperlinks.

Quote from coolhandphil

Hyperthetically if I wanted to open a PDF file from excel how would I do that in VBA?

Either

1) Hyperlink (BUT you will a security prompt)
    2) Shell (Look up help)

or
    3) API

Have a look here

http://www.xcelfiles.com/ShellExecuteA.html

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!