Mail Merge To Pdf To E-mail Attachment

• [COLOR="Navy"]I have an Excel database that contains a member list with membership information (including their e-mail address). I use the Word mail-merge feature to fill out the membership renewal form, using the Excel file as the database.

However, I need to create a PDF for each member's renewal form and then e-mail the form to the individual members as an attachment.

Is there a way that I can e-mail the created form, as a PDF attachment, to each member?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="darkred"][FONT="Arial"]There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Re: Mail Merge To Pdf To E-mail Attachment

Last I knew, there was no way to attach an attachment onto a mail-merged email. Maybe in Office2007 Micro$oft has finally done that, but I don't use it so I can't tell you. Up to O2k3 it was not possible.

[COLOR="Navy"]I saw your thread on "[COLOR="Blue"]Create Separate Docs From Paragraphs?[/COLOR]" I've also found some snippets on sending Word documents as an e-mail attachment. I'm pretty sure that I can merge the two concepts into doing what I want. However...

The part I'm missing now is capturing the recipient e-mail address. It is in the original Excel file, it is in the "email" form-field in the mail-merge document, and it is within a known area in the final document. Any ideas on how to capture the e-mail address in the VBA code, so I can use it to populate the Outlook "To" field?

Thanks,
    Andrew[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="darkred"][FONT="Arial"]There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I've kind of given up on the PDF option. Sorry if I was misleading.

What I believe I can do so far is:
    1) Use the standard mail-merge feature in Word to create the 150+ letters.
    2) Split the mail-merge document into 150+ separate letters.
    3) Create 150+ e-mail messages to 150+ different recipients, each with the appropriate letter attached.
    4) Send the 150+ e-mail messages in Outlook.

What I need to learn now is how to get the appropriate e-mail "To" address populated in each of the e-mails.

Since the mail-merge document and letters will be generated in the same order as the list in the Excel database, I suppose I could try and capture the e-mail addresses from Excel (just starting at the 2nd row and moving down one row with each letter). OR can I somehow scrape the e-mail address from the letter?

Which would be the better option and how would I go about it in VBA? That's my question now.

Thanks,
    Andrew[/COLOR]

Andrew, it's probably me, but let me see if I get this. You want to send the same "letter" (a Word doc) to 150+ recipients, whose email addresses you have stored in an Excel workbook. Right?

If no, then read no further. Repost and clear me up.

If yes, here's the thing: you don't need to create 150 of the same letters. You create one letter (a single Word doc), begin the mail-merge using the current document, grab the emails from the Excel workbook, and complete the merge. Of course, if your Excel sheet has names as well, you can personalize the letter with Dear xxxxxx, by mapping into the workbook with a form-field in the Word doc against the name field in the Excel sheet.

Let me know.

[COLOR="Navy"]Yes, you've got it.

• I have an Excel sheet with 150+ names, addresses, e-mail addresses, membership numbers, date of birth, this, that, and more.
    • I have a Word document with the mail-merge fields set and the Excel file set as the data source for the merge.
    • I run the merge and it creates a single 150+ page document with each page customized to the individual to which that page will be sent. (The same as you have described).
    • I'll use VBA to split the single 150+ page document into 150+ separate customized one page letters (one for each person in the Excel database).
    • I'll use VBA to include each of the e-mails as an attachment in an Outlook e-mail.

The above is no problem, as I'm pretty sure I can put the VBA snippets together to split the merge document into the individual customized letters and attach them in separate e-mails.

Now I just need to grab the e-mail addresses from somewhere, to populate the Outlook "To" field. I'm not sure the best way to go about grabbing the e-mail address.

Andrew[/COLOR]

Andrew - I guess my confusion is this. Why create all those 150+ identical word docs and email them as attachments? Using the mail merge is a way to create one document and use it as the text for the email, with the option of personalizing it to the name of the recipient, and by grabbing the emails out of a database such as excel, which will avoid having to put the emails in the bcc line, or such antics.

[COLOR="Navy"]The documents are not "identical". I use the merge feature to create documents customized to the individual to which they will be sent.

But what you submitted is great. I had never noticed before that you can choose "attachment" as the "mail format" for the merge. This does almost exactly what I need; that is, sending a customized document to each person as an attachment in the e-mail.

However, the only problem I see with this method is that the body of the e-mail is blank (except for the attachment). Do you know of a way that I can put additional text in the body of the e-mail (even static text is okay)? This method doesn't seem to use my default signature or even a chosen stationary (if I choose to use HTML e-mail).

Andrew

PS: For my purposes, I must use an attachment for the customized document I'm sending. I can't just merge the text directly into the body of the letter. Hence my troublesome workaround.[/COLOR]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!