Validation Rule For List Box In A Table

• I think I have a fairly simple problem. I am wanting the user to only be able to choose data from the list box in the table.

Table 1 has a list of departments
    Table 2 has a list box connected to table 1.
    I want the user to only be able to enter a field from the list box (if the department exists in table 1)

Can I just do this with the valadation Rule? Is this syntax correct?
    = [Table 1]![departments]

Thanks for the help
    Jason

• Re: Validation Rule For List Box In A Table

Maybe Im not doing it right.
    I am using Row Source to select the table. The List Box shows the correct information, but the user can type anything in the column. I want the user to only be able to select data from the list box.

yes, I'll be running a query. The main purpose is to only have relevant data. I have several "correct" tables. And then several tables that look at these correct tables to get certain data. I hope this is making since.
    Thanks

if you've set up the list box correctly the user shouldn't be able to change any of the data in the list box?

It's not a validation rule.

Your Listbox will have a RowSource property. Here you write your SQL to limit the available options, i.e.

SELECT tblCountries.CountryID, tblCountries.CountryName FROM tblCountries ORDER BY [CountryName];

Yoru rowsource type will also need to be Table/Query as opposed to Value List or Field List. The Validation Rule property is left blank.

I tryed this:
    No validation rule
    Display Control: List Box
    Row Source Type: Table/ Query
    Row Source: SELECT [List Dept].[Dept #] FROM [List Dept];
    Bound Column: 1
    Column Count 1

It still allows the user to type in any value in the Dept # field.
    thanks again

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!