Add Row On Unmatched Condition

• I have a summary list of all projects that my employees work on over the course of the month. Its gets sorted by date and project and is a pretty extensive list.

My goal is simple...to search through the list and add a blank row between each project.

I have written this code, that does work, but it takes quite some time to execute and I know there has to be a better way.

Can you guys take a look at it and see if there is more efficient way to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

• Re: Add Row On Unmatched Condition

I just benchmarked your code against the following code:

They both took exactly the same time (0.0164 seconds) to process a 100 row sample. I don't have any ideas on how to better this procedure.

How many rows of data do you have and how long does it take to process?

Hi,

I started coding this, but dont have anything to test it on.

Hopefully you get the idea.

Hi Reafidy,

I ran your code on my sample and it took 0.0318 seconds - Almost double the time. LOL, I can't believe i'm benchmarking these. We're really splitting hairs here aren't we : D
    You'd also need to stop it from inserting a row above the first project which I'm sure you could do.

Edit: Just redid the bench mark and it took the same time as the others. I must have had another program chewing up the juice while i did the first test.

Hi Brad,

I couldnt actually see a way to speed up the code, I was just trying to simplify it and show that an easier way to delete or insert rows is to work backwards.
    Thanks for the speed check.

Quote from Reafidy

Thanks for the speed check.

No problems...I won't give you a ticket this time. : D Just make sure you're wearing your seat belt.

LOL.

Everyone's code looked good to me.

Quote from Reafidy

Ha Ha, : D

So you didnt notice the broken tail light and 2kg's of heroin in the back then? ;)

So that's why my sniffer dog is off his face!?! : D

thanks guys for trying...if its the fastest its going to get then so be it. takes about a minute and a half on my computer to run because of the size of the list i guess. my computer is not exactly "slow" either...

thanks again.

Quote from gmccreedy

takes about a minute and a half on my computer to run because of the size of the list i guess. my computer is not exactly "slow" either...

Sounds like a lot of data is being processed. There may quicker ways, but i'm not aware of any.

You could possibly add a processing bar so the user at least knows something is going on. It might add a couple of seconds to your process, but sometimes I think it's worth it if it stops the potential idiot thinking something is wrong and they start screwing with your spreadsheet.

bradles,

that is an excellent idea...and i was already pondering something like that. But actually, like i stated in the original post, this is only run once a month, so I just may suck it up and do it myself so no one can "f" it up. I may just do it with an On-Time method at night while no one is around and just leave my computer running, that way it can take as long as it wants...

i was hoping to be able to allow the office manager to do this (who is not, shall we say, savvy). Looks like another "micro managing" situation...

o well. If you guys think of ANYTHING though...please let me know!!

Again, thanks for all your help...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!