Tying Two Documents Together

• Hi,
    I'm a beginner user looking to tie 2 documents together. Here is my situation, I have a detailed budget sheet with figures that are eventually summed. I want to take the cell with the total in that worksheet and have it linked into a completely different document that updates every time I change the initial document. how can this be done? please let me know if I haven't been clear enough.

Thanks.

• Re: Tying Two Documents Together

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

In the completely different document, select the cell you wish to be completed and simply enter = (this will allow the selection of another cell in another workbook) then select the source cell, then press Enter.

HTH

Robert

Hi Robert. Thanks for the quick reply. I have done what you said but I am getting "#VALUE!" and I cannot find the error.

Here is what the sheet looks like without actually showing it. There's a long list of costs with a sum total. The total is then then copied to a cell at the very top which just displays whatever is in the total cell. I have then linked that cell at the top of the page back to the completly different document. Any chance you know whats wrong?

Thanks again!

Hi

what is the formula you have in the summary workbook?

It should look something like

=[OriginalWorkbook]Sheet1!$B$1

Robert

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!