Disable X (quit) Button

• Hi,

I'm sure there is a way to disable the 'X' (quit) button in the top right-hand corner of the EXcel application (not the 'X' for individual workbooks), or the hook the quit event so that I can run code that shut down the application cleanly? I'm sure a Windows API call is involved but do not know enough about that side of programming to know for sure.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Re: Disable X (quit) Button

You can do it with API, although I generally wouldnt recommend it.
    Fortunately this will only effect the current application and does not persist between sessions.

Thanks Insomniac,

Although you do not recommend it. It works fine.

I know that you can trap application-level events using a class module and creating an application object "with events". However, there is not Quit event available in the drop-down for events. Is there anyway of trapping the quit event?

Thank again,
    Chris

There is no Application.Quit event, but you can trap WorkbookBeforeClose at an Application level.

Code
    Private Sub XlApp_WorkbookBeforeClose(Byval Wb As Workbook, Cancel As Boolean) 
    MsgBox Wb.Name & " is Closing"
    End Sub

You are likely to cause yourself unnecessary troubles with this. If it fails on a user I hope you are ready for any flak they throw at you - I know how I feel when an application messes up my settings

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!