YEARFRAC & Leap Years

• It looks like a pretty silly problem but it's driving me mad.

The yearfrac function takes a two dates and a basis. Now assume basis = 1 ( Act / Act ) and two cases:

1) 06-Jan-06 -> 06-Jan-08 ( 730 days ) = 1.998175182 =>> divisor = 730/1.998175182 = 365.33333

2) 06-Jan-05 -> 06-Jan-07 ( 730 days ) = 2 =>> divisor = 730/2 = 365

In case 1) 2008 is a leap year ( but the "leap" has yet to come! ). Can anyone explain me the logic behind? I suppose the extra day is divided by 3 but where is the "Actuality" of the divisor?

Filippo

• Re: Yearfrac Calculation

Hi,

I don't think the fact that

the "leap" has yet to come!

matters. Your range in case 1) covers 3 different years, 1 of which is a leap year therefore the average days per year = 365.33333. This I think

is the "Actuality" of the divisor

Regards,

Eric

• Re: Yearfrac Calculation

yearfrac - Fraction of year between dates
    Syntax
    YearFraction = yearfrac(StartDate, EndDate, Basis)

Not sure about leapyear, it has always been a pain I reCall and something jiuk avoids. I have given the systax so You can check Your spot on just in case

jiuk[hr]*[/hr] Auto Merged Post;[dl]*[/dl]Also see ----
    Description

YearFraction = yearfrac(StartDate, EndDate, Basis) returns a fraction based on the number of days between dates StartDate and EndDate using the given day-count basis. If EndDate is earlier than StartDate, Fraction is negative.
    Examples

YearFraction = yearfrac('14 mar 01', '14 sep 01', 0)

YearFraction =

YearFraction = yearfrac('14 mar 01', '14 sep 01', 1)

YearFraction =

See Also

days360, days365, daysact, daysdif, months, wrkdydif, year, yeardays

NOTE __ Credit to the author of this information jiuk has nabbed it, be happy to edit the post on evidence of Your work, sorry buddy I cant remember its old stuff I have saved <shrug> As always full credit where due

• Re: YEARFRAC &amp; Leap Years

Thanks guys!

it's probably true that 'Yearfrac' work just for period below/equal to one year. What is misleading is that it works for all date constellations for all method but Act/Act.

filippo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!