Acrobat PDF Print Preview Not WYSIWYG

• Good afternoon,

I apologise if my title is not very helpful. I cannot think how else to describe my question.

I have a spreadsheet which needs to be scaled down when printing (to fit 1 page wide by x tall), everything looks good in the print preview, but when PDFing, some of the columns don't seem to wrap properly and some of the words on the right side blend into the next column.

After playing around with it, if I set the column to autofit it slightly expands the column width and works correctly. Unfortunately, this will make the text too small to read by the time it is scaled down for PDFing so I have left the columns as they were.

I had a feeling that this difference between what was on screen and the end result could be due to the "printer" settings. So, because the default printer was not Acrobat, I changed the printer to Acrobat before attempting to print preview and print again. Yippee, it worked.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain phenomenon this to me?

Regards,
    Averil

-------------
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Averil Pretty[/FONT]

• Re: Text In Columns Blend Together When Creating Pdf

What's "PDFing"?
    What does "some of the columns don't seem to wrap properly" mean?

If a cell to the right is blank, data will spill over into the cell.

• Re: Acrobat PDF Print Preview Not WYSIWYG

Thanks Dave for your reply, and modifying my title more appropriately.

I use the term "PDFing" when creating a PDF, i.e. "printing" using Acrobat Distiller will create a PDF file.

The cells to the right aren't blank. Screenshot 1 attached is a screenshot of part of the Excel document. Screenshot 2 is a screenshot of the same area of the PDF document.

I appreciate your help here.

Regards,
    Averil

I'm not sure why your results surprise you; the printer driver is responsible for fitting things on a page, and Excel has to converse with it to do Print Preview. If you selected a Dymo LabelWriter as the printer, you would expect it to print preview considerably differently, would you not?

[SIZE=1]Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate.[/SIZE]

What I didn't understand is why the print preview was fine but the PDF was different (the second time it also did the same thing even with Acrobat Distiller selected as the printer). As I had a deadline, my workaround was to indent the cell alignment of the columns which seemed to make it a little better.

AP

-------------
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Averil Pretty[/FONT]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!