Plot/Chart Tick/Check Marks

• Hi,

Is there any way in which I can map the tick mark labels on either the x-axis or the y-axis to different values other than the ones that are being plotted for.

For example, lets say the data is:

1 5
    2 6
    3 10
    4 15
    5 8

I want to plot these in a chart but instead of displaying 1,2,3,4,5 on the x-axis, I want to display a different column, say,

The answer is not as simple as plotting the required x-values with the y-values. I have just used a simplistic example but the thing I am trying to do has dependencies involved so I cannot simply plot the chart with the required column.

I would be thankful if you could help me out

Regards,

• Re: Map Tick Mark Labels

Aah that wont work since I want exaclty the points on the y axis to get the new labels. Let me explain again.

For example, the point (1,5) should read (5,5) though it still (1,5) on the chart. This is done by only modifying the x-tick mark labels and not the point itself.

I read through John Peltiers page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html to achieve this. So what I did there was that I plot the graph

X Y
    1 5
    2 6
    3 10
    4 15
    5 8

I further use dummy Y and plot the line

X Y
    1 0
    2 0
    3 0
    4 0
    5 0

I then remove the x-labels and then use XY Chart labeller to label the new series as:

Hence, I have the point which was originally (1,5) being read as (5,5) now and so on.

However, the problem that I am facing here is that since my ranges are dynamic, I cannot fix the value of dummy Y to zero, since I want the chart to be scaled later for best fit. The new labels hence would go out of the plot area.

I could have tried to set the dummy Y to the minimum value of the Y-axis but then the tick marks would not be equally spaced and it would be too dirty to format the chart manually to make it look good.

It would be a lot easier to label the 1 tick on the x-axis as 5 and so on and let excel take care of the formatting.

Regads,

If the value spacing is even you could use a catergorical axis (line chart)
    Otherwise if you want non standard axis you will have to control all aspects of it. This may require formula or even VBA code.

Please in any future posts if you have already tried a technique let us know. It saves as suggesting something you have already tried.

Sure, but I tried this after I had posted my initial query. Sorry about that.

No, the spacing is not even. Hence I need a scatter plot. I am attaching a part of my data file that I am currently using to plot my data points and the mapping. I want to plot the mapped value vs. the Y-values but I need to label the x-axis tick marks with the actual time values to get the correct graph.

Regards,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!