Data validation dropdown disappears after worksheet is updated

• Hi,

I have a strange problem regarding DataValidation dropdown visibility in excel.

I have an excel sheet with some data validation dropdowns. The thing is once i update these workbooks, i send them to a client who then re-updates data and sends them back to others. Strange thing is once my client receives the workbook, the validation tab disappears completely.

I just can't seem to place where the problem lies. Please help me out.
    Thanks in advance
    Aswani Kumar

• Re: Visibility of Data validation dropdown in excel

Possibly, your client is using a copy and paste into the data validation cells.
    If so, the validation is being over-written and wiped out.

If this is the cause, then your client should use a Paste Special > Values to prevent clearing the data validation from the cells. The risk here is that invalid values will be written to the cells because it by-passes the data validation.

• Re: Visibility of Data validation dropdown in excel

Thanks AAE for the prompt reply.

The thing is its not possible as my client knows in which cells the dropdowns are present. But when he clicks on the cell, voila the dropdowns are not at all present let alone their visibility.

I am at a dead loss here. Please help.

Regards
    Aswani KUmar

• Re: Data validation dropdown disappears after worksheet is updated

How do you send the workbook? Do you use any code to copy the sheet/workbook to a new workbook before emailing?

If possible, upload sample workbook: before email and after email (no validation)
    Remove or disguise any sensitive data if necessary.

Are you absolutely certain (know for a fact) the client is not overwriting the validation cells with a copy/paste action?
    Have you tried emailing the workbook to yourself or someone else in your company, opening it to see if there are any changes? Try an internal test to control the workbook and ask an a co-worker to make updates similar as the client would, then have them email it to you.

Are you both using the same version of excel?

[SIZE=3]The Only Dumb Question Is A Question Not Asked.[/SIZE]

Similar question to Yegarboy:

Are you both using the same platforms for Excel? I have encountered issues when workbooks are transfered between PC Excel and Mac Excel, though usually this only becomes nasty if there is VBA involved. Hmm, and someone did try to use a complex workbook in OpenOffice once that did not go well.

Hello all,

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

Well i am very sure that my client does not do any any copy paste on the cell containing the dropdownlist. There is no VBA code involved too.

And yes i tried your suggestion and sent the file across to my colleagues internally and bingo, there is the dropdown. And beleive me, my client uses the same version of excel and OS which i use.

its only in my client's system the problem appears. I am sorry but i can't post the workbook. Kindly understand.

Thanks and regards
    Aswani Kumar

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!