Change default chart colours using vba

• I would like to change the default chart colours used in Excel (XP). I know the simplest way to do this would be to save a file called book.xlt in the xlstat folder but my employer's security policy prevents me from doing this.

I wondered instead if it would be possible to put some code in personal.xls (which I can edit) that would change the defaults, but I don't know how to do this. Ideally I also want to make some other changes to the chart defaults such as background colour and axis font.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
    Rob

PS also tried changing the default chart type but it just resets to the original.

• Re: Change default chart colours using vba

Junho

Thanks. Yes I tried that first but my Excel doesn't seem to save the changes. I think maybe it loads a default set for all users on the network when we launch Excel. That's why I wanted to try the VBA route in the personal.xls.

I've tried sub auto_open using worksheets.color(16) = RGB(x,y,z) etc but this doesn't work as part of personal.xls because the new workbook book1.xls opens after personal.xls.

At the moment I've set things up so that I have a template that I can access using File... New... but this isn't ideal.

Rob

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!