Sumproduct severely slowing down spreadsheet

• I'm an independent contractor and I have to bill per hour per property and specify the billing code within each property. This way, when I send an invoice the client can see how many hours I have spent on each type of job for each property. The spreadsheet I have created works, but is very sluggish with all the SUMPRODUCT formulas.

I have attached a very small sampling of this spreadsheet and have highlighted in yellow the sumproduct formulas. Can anyone help me figure out a more efficient formula that doesn't slow my spreadsheet time so much?

Thanks,

• Re: Sumproduct severely slowing down spreadsheet

I would love to use a pivot table, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up for this.

How many rows are you referencing with the SUMPRODUCT formulas in your real data?

It may be that OFFSET is contributing to the inefficiencies - OFFSET is a "volatile" function which means that it recalculates every time something is changed even if data directly affecting that formula doesn't change - INDEX is better, e.g. in C19 copied down

=SUMPRODUCT($M$5:$M$13,INDEX($G$5:$K$13,0,MATCH($A19,$G$4:$K$4,0)))

and similar for your other formulas

Daddylonglegs - You're awesome. I am still going to try some pivot tables and such to see if I can get something that works, but this sped my spreadsheet up a lot! Good to know about OFFSET.

Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!