Summing the functions of the previous function

• I have a base number that I would like to start with, with that number I would like to then add a mathematical function of itself to it and then repeat it a certain number of times. Therefore I would be taking the result of the base number + function and adding a function of the sum to the sum, resulting in another number

For example if I had a base number of 10 and an arbitrary denominator of 2:

I would take the base number, 10, then add (10 / 2) to it. From there I would like take that resulting number, which is (10 + (10/2)), and add ((10+(10/2)) / 2) to it.

We could replace (10 + (10/2)) with f(b), that is a function of the base number before it, and the equation would be f(b) = b + (b/2).

I want to come up with a one line formula for excel that takes the initial base number I give it and adds f(b) to f(b-1) a specified number of times (around 200 or so times).

Can anyone help?

• Re: Summing the functions of the previous function

Welcome to the Forum, FakeLogin.

Even though this is your first post, you should be well aware, from both the rules and viewing other threads here over the past 3 months, that posting the same query on other boards without adding links to your posts is against the rules - both here and in most other forums.

You also posted this query on MrExcel using the user name gallaga (URL: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552401)

Please have a read of this to understand why cross-posting without linking is frowned on...

If you want your thread unlocked, please send me a private message (click my name at the top of this message and select 'Private Message') stating you agree to comply with the rules in future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!